Clear Space to Fix Catalina Update Restart Loop

Originally published at: Clear Space to Fix Catalina Update Restart Loop - TidBITS

After being flummoxed by updates to Security Update 2021-002 for macOS 10.15 Catalina and Safari 14.1 that required a restart but never installed, Adam Engst discovered that Apple’s installer will fail silently if there isn’t enough free space.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder! I had not launched GrandPerspective (or similar app) in a while on my laptop. When I did, I found tens of GBs worth of Apple events in my Podcasts folder, which I did not need to save.

GrandPerspective is a nice app, but I prefer its cousin, Disk Inventory X. It is based on the Linux KDirStat app.

I prefer it because it presents a list-view of all your files. You can select any file or folder and immediately see it in the graphical view. It also presents an index panel to show what file types correspond to each color.

The only downside is that the author has not signed the app, so Gatekeeper makes you jump through a few hoops (right-click it and select Open) the first time you run it. If this bothers you, then I recommend scanning it for malware before you run it the first time.

2 Likes

OmniDiskSweeper is free. I like it because instead of graphics, I simply get column view (which I usually use in Finder already) lists sorted by size so I can focus right away on what presents the biggest potential payoff.

It’s old, but they maintain it (albeit as a bit of a side project I guess).

The suggestion that is quite old but in my opinion still valid: free space on your disk should be double the amount of installed RAM. If you have 16GB RAM, free space on your disk after reboot should be 32 GB.

As the OS uses the disk for virtual memory aka swap.

I run Onyx once a Month, plus Parallels Toolbox has clean up features. Coming from early Windows iterations, combined with computers of the time where 80GB was a nice chunky drive, I am somewhat obsessive about free space. :smiley:

1 Like

Many, many thanks for this Adam. For the last month, I’ve been getting warnings that my 2 year old 500GB SSD was getting full with less than 20GB available. I was wondering would I have to get a new bigger disk to keep my 2011 MacBook Pro going; as it is a fine machine and I don’t need “bigger, faster, better” yet, I’m happy to use it for another few years. Anyway, I downloaded GrandPerspective and it showed up a 68GB file in the Library. It was linked to the WavePad application which I have used just once, and more than a year ago; I can’t recall why I needed it back then. I deleted the app and its preference files, etc., and suddenly I’ve got 90GB of free space. What a relief!

1 Like

While the reminder to “know thou drive space” and the comments about various apps to ‘clean’ wasted space are nice, how ‘ out this: Apple, if there’s not enough free space, just tell us. DUH. :crazy_face:

Apple could do better with this. You’ll certainly get warnings when you’re too low on drive space for normal activities to take place, but things like upgrades require a lot more free space. It would be nice if Apple would acknowledge that and build in some additional gentle warnigns.

1 Like