CES 2021: Multi-Port iPad Cases, MacBook Pro SSDs, Videoconferencing Cameras, and a Plane You Can Drive

Originally published at: CES 2021: Multi-Port iPad Cases, MacBook Pro SSDs, Videoconferencing Cameras, and a Plane You Can Drive - TidBITS

Jeff Porten hits the startup breakout area of CES and reports back on a nifty IPad case, Mac SSD upgrades, 3-D-printed eyeglasses, immersion blenders for boats, more flying cars, and AR for motorcyclists, among other things.

How much weight does that Hubble ipad case add to the iPad?

As far as the SSD upgrade, I am always for ways to upgrade storage/memory/graphics of Apple’s closing systems, but I don’t see ANY warning on ESD. No one without some ESD safety experience should be opening computers (especially when humidity is low, like Winter time) without ESD precautions (strap, grounding mat, ESD-safe tools). Because you won’t always know that you zapped your $2000 laptop. Sorry if I sound overly careful…

2 Likes

That flying car is just a fancy autogyro. James Bond and Little Nellie have been there before. :-)

2 Likes

It was always odd that the two-port, no-touch-bar MacBook Pro had a socketed SSD while the four port model did not, and it’s to Fledging’s credit that they actually developed a custom adapter for it (the SSD itself is a standard M.2 2242 NVMe module from another vendor, verified Mac-reliable by Fledging). It’s also odd that Fledging does not make it clear on the product purchase page that only the Late 2016 and Mid 2017 two-port models (A1708) are eligible, though it’s plain enough in this blog post. It’s an interesting option if you happen to have one of those models already and aren’t ready to shell out for an Apple silicon model just yet (or can’t use one); $349 is not bad for 2 TB. (Apple charges $800.)

2 Likes

without ESD precautions (strap, grounding mat, ESD-safe tools) … you won’t always know that you zapped your $2000 laptop. Sorry if I sound overly careful…

Amen. Read up on “wounded” semiconductors. That’s why you see fools who are careless claim they’ve never damaged electronics by ignoring ESD. Static can change the threshold at which a “semi” changes from being an insulator to being a conductor — putting one or several components out of their specified voltage threshold.

I"ve walked into “computer repair” shops and demanded to go behind the curtain to see their workstations. Surprisingly few have ESD mats in place and wrist straps at hand.

Immersion blender for boats pricing differential appears to be the result of VAT not being charged for non-EU purchasers

While is is good to see another braille device, most braille displays also include a 8 key perkins input system, and AT Guys has been selling the Orbit has been selling the Orbit Writer 6 key braille input device for about 6 months, at about 1/2 the price you listed.

Thanks! I’ve excised that bit from the article to avoid confusing anyone else.

Just heard back from Fledging, the Hubble Connected is 1.5 pounds.