CES 2019: Health, Home, and Other Products at the Sands

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/01/17/ces-2019-health-home-and-other-products-at-the-sands/

Jeff Porten’s visit to the CES Home and Health show floor included a smart mailbox for your deliveries, a battery accessible to the blind, a smartwatch you never charge, and news of an embarrassing moment for the CTA.

I have to disagree about bone conducting headphones. I have used Trakz Titanium headphones for years. They’re fantastic. Adam and Tonya tried them when we met during their London trip.

Of course they don’t cut out ambient noise, but they sound more than acceptable. I wear mine at the gym and on my bike. I held off for a long time, but took the plunge and was very pleased I did.

A late addendum to my story: a few weeks ago I ran across some information indicating that the OWC Elite mini was not a Thunderbolt drive, and confirmed with their press people that it was. But now I’m in the market for one, and looking at the sales page, it tells me it’s “Thunderbolt 3 compatible” but the USB-C jack is USB 3.1 and the max speed is 540 MB/s.

I’m feeling like I got the runaround, and I am pretty annoyed.

Lori DiCarlo got her CES Innovation Award back, after the CTA acknowledges it didn’t handle the situation properly.