Canceling Adobe Cloud Subscription

This has been trending. People who decide to cancel their Adobe Cloud subscriptions are getting hit with hundreds of dollars in cancelation fees.

A Responsive Design article from last year points at a loophole that can let you get out of cancelation fees. When you attempt to cancel, you’re given a chance to downgrade your subscription as a means of keeping you. Once you downgrade, you have 14 days to cancel without paying a cancellation fee.

I don’t know if this still works, but it might be worth a try.

3 Likes

Adobe are very keen to stop people cancelling their subscriptions. I know from experience that you have to jump through a few hoops in order to do so, and they’ll try and entice you to choose a cheaper plan. At times, they’ve also been willing to offer discounts if you’re insistent on cancelling.

If you’re on an annual plan, they’ll definitely charge you a fee unless you’re cancelling just before the renewal date. I had to pay for an extra month last year before I got off the Photography Plan (which I only really had for access to the TypeKit font library.)

I get the Suite due to College, but I’ve persuaded my IT team to purchase the Affinity products for my remote learner students.

Adobe wanted an enormous amount of money to let the remote students have access to the suite. Due to the pandemic all our labs are sitting with machines off, filled with their software, but they wouldn’t budge on the price.

We may end up sticking with Affinity.

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing how it goes. I’m waiting for the next generation MacBook Pro, which won’t run my very ancient versions of Adobe Creative Suite or FileMaker.

A potential problem for the remote students…when they look for full time professional employment in design, photo editing, production or printing, a huge % of employers require Adobe skills.

Yes indeed, a few of our degree programs have embedded Adobe certification within them, graduates have that under their belt.

Not my students or degrees, I don’t teach on the Design or Architecture programs, I’m on the Fine Art, Writing and Performing Arts degrees, the digital skills they possess are typically means-to-ends uses for fine artists or actors or writers. They don’t go looking for careers that would be employing them to use Adobe all day.