Building a web site with Apple

I think Adam said he build this site with “WordPress” which has access to a lot of templets.
My old software “Shutter Bug” is no longer supported. I do wood art and display a lot of pictures. I need help getting my old Galleries back up to speed. I am a rank amateur that knows no code.

Can anyone suggest a software program that an amateur can develop a new site with? Thanks

You could try WordPress.com, but from what you’re saying, a system like Squarespace might be more appropriate.

@jeffc might be able to comment on whether there’s a really easy way to do this with Lightroom CC. I found this help article, but that’s Lightroom Classic CC.

@jeffc might be able to comment on whether there’s a really easy way to do this with Lightroom CC. I found this help article, but that’s Lightroom Classic CC.

This is a great suggestion, and if you go this route you’ll be able to use Adobe’s free and excellent portfolio option that I hear is very easy to use and includes many customizable templates, and includes free Behance community membership - free hosting, portfolio reviews, etc. I know a number of photographers, artists and designers that use it very successfully and don’t know anything about code. If you’re already paying for hosting for your site, it could be cost effective to switch.

https://www.myportfolio.com/

If you don’t want to go the Adobe route, I hear good things about Wix, and there are tons of free Wordpress templates out there.

Marilyn

If you’d sooner stay hosting and uploading your own site rather than building in the browser I’d recommend RapidWeaver, especially with the stacks plugin. Lots of plugins, stacks, themes for it, a vibrant ecosystem around it.

WordPress is a powerful system for creating web sites. Especially Blog types of sites. You can make it do all kinds of things with the appropriate themes, plug ins, and custom tweaking. And it is easy to have it consume your life. Unless you’re looking to put up a site where you will be making regular posts and having people comment on them, I’d look hard and SquareSpace and WIX as more approachable alternatives. Both of them operate at a level a step or so higher than WordPress and thus hide more of the nuts and bolts from the typical web site builder. But both have a lot of power.

Says he who is the behind the scenes guy for a blog with 2200+ posts, 320K+ comments, and about 5000 unique visits per day minimum.

Also, if you DO go with WordPress don’t go with wordpress.com. Long story but in a year or so you’ll likely regret it.

Why should wordpress.com be avoided?

neil

They use internally different formats for some things which makes ever moving a site from them to somewhere else a vary royal PITA. It was a couple of years back when I looked this. I think one issue was that plug ins were different. So you could build a site that was wrapped around a set of plug ins that may or may not exist outside of the wordpress.com world.

I’ve seen several situations where people did a quick blog on wordpress.com and then as it grew wanted to go somewhere else and found they were stuck without spending a lot of time/money to do the move.

Thanks for the information - after reviewing them I think I will start with LR classic CC “web” Since I pay for it.
If I grow braver I will venture into WIX. I knew I would get the answer here, Thanks

Charlie

It’s possible to produce a decent-looking, if rather primitive, site very quickly using LR and Adobe’s online Portfolio site builder. By way of example, mine (which took me less than an hour to get up and running, including learning how to use Portfolio) is at jbr.is. It’s not great, and I plan to move on to something more sophisticated, but it’s really easy.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

jbr@mac.com

David, something weird is happening to all your comments in Discourse. Are you beginning paragraphs with indented text by adding spaces? Lines that begin with spaces prompts Discourse to format them as preformatted text; on the web (and in RSS), this means they’re in a monospace font and the text won’t wrap, it’s all on one long line with a horizontal scrollbar. In the HTML-formatted email it sends, it looks like it adds line breaks to prevent horizontal scrolling. Discourse’s web editor inserts four spaces for lines where one wants preformatted text but I think fewer spaces are sufficient to trigger the formatting.

In general, indenting the first line of a paragraph is not the norm for digital communications. The practice should be limited to formats that support first line indent of paragraphs (i.e. word processor files like those from Pages, MS Word, etc.), not simulated with typing tabs or spaces.

1 Like

My students all use Wix. It’s quite flexible and easy to use.

Thanks Wix is on my study page. I have a lot of reading to do.

Can anyone suggest a software program that an amateur can develop a new site with?

I don’t know why more people don’t know about this awesome Web site creation program. It’s free (some extended features are only available if you pay for them, but they are extremely specialized), WYSIWYG (but there is a built-in text editor if you choose to work with the raw HTML, and it helps you by allowing you to add HTML commands with one click), easy to use (if you know how to use a word processor you will take to this program quickly), and full featured. It’s great for beginners and experienced Web designers alike.

BlueGriffon (free)

Free video tutorial series:
(The tutorial does not use the Mac version of the program, but the program is virtually identical across platforms.)

Other free BlueGriffon tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bluegriffon+tutorials

BlueGriffon’s user manual is commercial (not free), but it’s not necessary if you view the above tutorial.

Now, here’s the best thing about BlueGriffon…it can do something that very few other WYSIWYG Web site creation programs can do…it can import existing Web sites in HTML format. Why is that important? Because if you have previously been using a program that is basically a page layout program with an HTML converter on top of it you can only export your existing Web site in either a proprietary format that nothing else can open, or you can export your Web site in HTML format. So, using BlueGriffon you can migrate from any other Web site creation program.

Even better, you can suck down the raw HTML from any existing site on the Web using something like SiteSucker, and use it as a template/starting point for your project. Basically this means that you have access to an unlimited number of free templates!

Some tips for using BlueGriffon:

1. When you first open it, the interface will look terrible. Don’t get discouraged. Do this:
    BlueGriffon menu → Preferences → General tab → Theme → enable “Light”
    The interface will now look world’s better!

2. The sidebar in the program isn’t active by default. In the Panels menu choose Style Properties, and you should instantly get a sense of the value of the sidebar.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • Macintosh Routine Maintenance

1 Like

Thanks for that Randy. A gap in my toolbox. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys Im off exploring.

I am WordPress everywhere: My blog (designed for me by a friend), job #1 (twincities.com) and job #2 (tidbits.com). WordPress is super solid, and the foundation for much of the web.

That said, when I build sites for others, I use Squarespace. It’s prettier and simpler.