Bizarre licensing policy

Please take another look at the different licenses.

The one in question. the “Device License” is the only one that works this way. You pay a perpetual license for a fixed number of devices.

They also offer a “Family Subscription”, which has an annual fee for up to 15 devices. It’s still slot based, but you’re paying for 15 slots and they reset each year when the subscription renews.

I think this is just fine. You can pick the terms that work best for you. If you have a small number of devices that don’t change very often, then the device license ($40-130 for 1-10 devices, unlimited upgrades) may work best. If you are frequently upgrading your devices, then a subscription ($90/year for up to 15 devices) may be more economical.

Of course, none of these are as nice as the legacy licenses, which were licensed for an unlimited number of devices on a fixed number of computers, but it doesn’t look like that’s an option anymore, for any price.

1 Like

Well, that’s what I get for basing a comment solely on what’s being said here. I hadn’t looked at the actual licenses because I wasn’t interested in the upgrade yet anyway, since no matter how you do it it costs money that I can’t spare at this moment.

The discussion was proceeding under the apparent implication that this was the only license being offered. If it’s only one of multiple options, why are we talking about it like it’s the only option? I’ll grant that the legacy unlimited license is what most of us would prefer, but that kind of license is rapidly disappearing for any software that actually matters. Subscriptions have become the norm, and that’s unlikely to change any time soon.

Looking back through the thread, it appears that this:

is the only previous point in this entire thread when anyone has discussed a license option that doesn’t involve the permanent slots. I missed that reference the first time around.

Looking at that plan, it’s not exactly an attractive option for those of us with only a handful of devices. Even among my entire household, including the retired devices that haven’t been recycled or rehomed yet, I’ve got a grand total of seven iDevices, only four of which are in active use—and one of which is so old and decrepit that I haven’t even been able to power it on.

So with four devices, I can pay $75 once and get one extra slot (since you can’t buy only four slots) for when one device gets replaced, and then pay for a full new license every time I replace a device after that, or I can pay $90 every year for more slots than I’m likely to ever need. Either way is very customer-unfriendly.

It’s still a choice between only bad options, so not really any better than I described the first time around. Permanently linking a license to a device with zero options for reassigning that license to a replacement device is short-sighted, and having those links reset once a year doesn’t make it less so. You still can’t reassign slots as needed with the family subscription, so if you have close to the full number of devices, you’re still screwed if you need to replace multiple devices.

Even one unexpected replacement screws you over here. Suppose you upgrade your iPhone and assign it a slot. After a week, you notice that your new iPhone is having issues and you take it to the Apple Store to have it looked at. They determine that it’s defective, and since you’ve had it only a week, they’re just going to swap it out rather than make you wait for repair (and they’ll repair it later and resell it as a refurb). You’ve just lost a slot, through circumstances that were impossible for you to avoid. If you get a succession of lemons (which has happened to people before), you’ll burn through slots quickly, and since the subscription slots reset only once a year, having that doesn’t help you much, if at all.

If they really can’t come up with any way to make the regular license have reassignable slots, the least they can do is have the subscription slots be freely reassignable. You’re paying a not-insignificant amount every year for a bucket of slots; iMazing shouldn’t care if the devices are changing, because they’re getting the money just the same. They can limit the possibility of abuse of this by charging a fee to assign a slot back to a device that had previously been assigned and then replaced with another device, allowing only new devices to be swapped in without additional cost.

The whole thing just smacks of something that some non-technical executive came up with and set their mind on without caring how customers might react to it. And it’s going to bite them in the butt.

3 Likes

I have only talked about the base option because my “family” is me, and I have one phone.

I suspect that there are two problems.

First, I imagine that the previous licensing model was not generating enough revenue to sustain continued, high-quality development of a remarkably full-featured application in what must be a very complicated technical space. I sympathize, and I want to see DigiDNA find a way to succeed without compromising product quality.

Second, the new personal “Device License” model is unnecessarily complex for its target audience, at least at first glance. For a market of home users, a license model that is too complex “at first glance” is more likely to hurt the developer than to help it, either in lost sales or goodwill, as this discussion thread amply demonstrates.

Personally, I am quite certain that I have gotten more value from DigiDNA over the years than I have paid them in licensing fees, and I am inclined to want to support them in return. Nonetheless, when I heard about the new terms, my initial reaction was very negative. It sounded like “upgrading” to the new version would result in a loss of flexibility or function, which is all too common in today’s tech world.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that the new “family subscription” is an excellent match to my requirements at what I consider to be a very fair price. While I have no immediate need or plan to install the new version, I gladly will buy a family subscription to help support the product.

At the same time, I do hope that DigiDNA reconsiders its consumer “Device License” model and either simplifies it or allows some flexibility in assigning devices to a license.

There have been times when I have been negotiating commercial software contracts, and the vendors would come up with bizarre, complicated licensing terms, creating enough administrative headaches for my team that I would want to walk away from the vendor entirely. If the product was very important to the business, I would tell the vendor that it was important to me that they be profitable and sustainable, and I would say that surely we could find a model that allowed for that without adding unacceptable administrative burden to me and my team. More often than not, we would find a workable solution, but the fact that DigiDNA’s new personal “Device License” model reminded me of those burdensome commercial licenses (at first glance) is not a good thing.

It would be a shame for an excellent and important developer like DigiDNA to be hurt by what simply seems to be an awkward licensing model. I wish them luck and wisdom in 2024.

3 Likes

I bought iMazing through bundlehunt and I have a 3 device perpetual license which works well with me and wife. We each have an iPad, but neither of us have an iPhone. I like it and have been very happy with it. I was thinking of upgrading to the new version (it is supposed to be a free upgrade for me), but I want to make sure I have my 3 devices and no subscription. Sounds like I need to be careful if I upgrade.

1 Like

According to the upgrade policy:

So, when did you buy your license? Or more specifically, since you purchased via bundlehunt, do you know when DigiDNA delivered the license code to them?

If that date is after October 14, 2020, then you should be able to upgrade to the latest version without any new licenses.

If it is prior to that (a legacy perpetual license), then you can upgrade to the latest update within your current major revision but will need a new license to upgrade to a newer major revision.

I’ve used iMazing for several years and find it versatile. I’ve upgraded my iPhone a few times and have never had to buy a new licence.

I think the logic and consumer benefit of the new licensing terms are that the company brings in enough revenue to stay in business. If I upgrade my phone, it seems reasonable that a company making such a capable piece of software with features that are not replicated elsewhere receives some payment for the work required to support all the devices and OS updates that occurred in the five years since my last phone purchase.

1 Like

This is a timely topic. I have v2.17.16 and attempted to open it to see which type of license I have. I am instead presented with an EULA agreement window that I have not seen before. I downloaded the v3 installer but never installed it, so my guess is this new EULA is being pushed out to everyone, yes?

I use iMazing as a backup platform, and in that role it is fine for me. That said, it seems less-than-wonderful to change licensing at this point, but I can think of multiple software firms that have done the same if not worse.

I found my original licensing email and it turns out that I bought the lifetime 3 devices one, lucky me. I am still going to contact iMazing to ask what it going on.

I use iMazing but find it clunky. I generally use it for backups and transferring music since itunes went away.

I worry about an MDM on a device. It seems Configurator adds devices to a management system that a single person with a single device may not want to do (extra hoops you have to learn, manage, and hope nothing goes wrong with).

While iTunes the app is gone, much of the functionality was rolled into the Finder. I regularly do local backups of my devices and transfer files to and from the devices just using the Finder. It’s kind of clunky (of course my filenames are always the same length as the size of the file, and copying progress, pffft, who needs copying progress), but it works fine.

If I buy a license described as ‘perpetual’ and later on I am told I need to buy a new ‘perpetual’ license for a new version, I know two things. one is that the word ‘perpetual’ has been misunderstood (maybe deliberately) by the seller, and the second is that our agreement has been broken. I would not support such a business.

That is an absurd state of “knowledge”, and both aspects of it are obviously wrong. A “perpetual” licence allows you to use the software as you bought it in perpetuity, not the right to perpetual improvements.

Your supposition presupposes a wholly unrealistic business model. Some applications do offer unlimited free upgrades (Chronosync, for example, but I struggle to think of any other) but nearly all require further payment for new versions.

If you buy a car, you have use of it indefinitely. You don’t have any right to a new model.

5 Likes

Then, Jeremy, how does this ‘perpetual’ license differ from an ordinary license? If I buy a license for, say, version 2, I assume I can use it until there is a version 3. But if my license claims to be ‘perpetual’ is it no different? Perpetual implies forever.
Let us contrast this developer’s behaviour with Ed Hamrick at VueScan. When he sold a perpetual pro license, he meant it. Upgrades every time I open the app. His son has taken over and is asking for money from such license owners. He can ask, but understands he is not entitled to require it. There was a contract he is not breaking. That makes me willing to fund further development voluntarily by giving money of my own free will. A more graceful approach, no?

1 Like

I think the term “perpetual license” is simply a (possibly unfortunate) retronym, the need for which came about with the rise in subscription models for software. In other words, it’s no different from the “ordinary license” to which you refer (and with all its ambiguities attached), but is different from the subscription licenses which are presently in vogue.

1 Like

When I posted here, I also wrote the iMazing folks and said I didn’t want to continue with this licensing scheme and requested a full refund. I also pointed them to this topic.

I did get the refund, along with this email from one of their other support folks (my reply is below).

Hello Howard,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TidBITS.

I understand that you are not satisfied with the iMazing licensing model. I would like to explain why we chose this model and the reasons behind it.

iMazing 3 represents our biggest upgrade ever, and lays the foundation for a host of additional capabilities we’ll be adding in the coming months and years.

Version 3 is also the last “paid upgrade” that we ever release, having implemented this new license model in October 2020 that ensures every iMazing user who purchases a new license will always have access to the latest version.

Which license should you choose?

If you prefer perpetual licenses, have limited needs, or don’t connect many devices to iMazing, our Device-based license is the route to go.

If you replace or add devices frequently to iMazing, our Subscription license may be the more cost effective route.

Why did we make these changes?

Our motivation was to strike a balance between two important considerations: the convenience and value we provide for our users, and the sustainability of our business.

Software has traditionally been sold with a model centered around paid upgrades, which results in features being held back until enough are ready to justify charging users for a new version.

For an app like iMazing, which is continually updated to maintain compatibility between devices and OS releases, as well as new features, this model presents several challenges. In the 7 years since we released iMazing 2.0, we delivered 17 updates that added key features or compatibility, all at no cost to our customers.

Adopting this licensing model three years ago has ensured that our fiercely independent firm can continue to deliver the world’s best iPhone, iPad, and iPod manager for many years to come—and that our users always have access to the newest version of iMazing at no additional cost.

More details about our decision to choose this model can be found in our blog post: https://imazing.com/blog/imazing-3-mac-beta

The only alternative to the device-based perpetual license model would have been to offer only subscriptions. However, we considered that many users use iMazing only once, for instance, to extract their messages for a court case. A subscription model is clearly not suitable for one-time usage.

In the future, we might propose a different model based solely on subscriptions, but with the option to pay monthly. This could potentially be a solution, as users today are accustomed to canceling a subscription if they don’t want it to renew. Would this model seem more suitable for you, or do you have other ideas to share?

Kind regards,

Jérôme

My reply:

Hello Jérôme,

Thank you for your note. I understand your discussion of the licensing model, both in your email and the blog posting you provided.

More than the model itself, my concern stems from the disclosure and clarity of language in the company’s description of the model. I believe I am not alone in believing that the intended meaning of references to “devices” with regard to software purchases is how many copies of the app can be installed and used at one time. My iPhone is a device, my iPad is a device. Two devices. This is further confused by the use of the word “slots” rather than “devices” in the iMazing Licensing table provided by Oleg. What is the difference between a device and a slot? As with the word “seats” with commercial software, the traditional definition is that devices can be swapped out as long as the number of devices does not exceed the number of slots.

The fact that your licensing model is not traditional in this way appears, as far as I can tell, in only one place - in the licensing table with the sentences "Device slots are not reusable; once linked, a device cannot be unlinked” and "Additional device slots can be purchased when needed”. The first sentence is linked to a footnote(!) that says "Don’t worry, we’re here to help: If your device is lost or broken, contact our Support team and we’ll assist you”. This is hidden in a footnote and is completely ambiguous. Will you, or will you not allow a device to be replaced without further expense? If you will, under what circumstances?

The issue of disclosure is what made me decide to no longer support your product. I got the popup notice offering the beta version. I downloaded and installed it. I went through the upgrade process. The “Device License” section defaults to 3 devices, which is how I accidentally purchased additional licenses - I had changed the dropdown to one, but navigated away and then returned and the dropdown had reverted without my noticing. The explanation says "Connect up to 3 Apple mobile device(s); purchase more device slots when needed”. Again, it is reasonable to assume this is using the traditional model of three devices simultaneously. And again, the inconsistent use of the words devices and slots. I have only one device - my iPhone - so I’ll never need additional slots, right?

Only after I’d completed my purchase did I realize I’d bought 3 licenses and that’s when I wrote in asking that it be corrected. Oleg’s email, with its link to the license description document, was the first time I was shown the full explanation of “devices”. I think it’s fair to assume there has been previous confusion, or Oleg wouldn’t have taken the precautionary step to make sure I’d seen the policy.

There were several opportunities to make your policy clear. The blog post could have mentioned the new licensing model, with a link to the licensing table. The Store page, instead of just saying “Connect to x Apple mobile device(s) …” could simply add the same explanation from the table: Device slots are not reusable; once linked, a device cannot be unlinked (with a link to the table itself). As you yourself said, there have been no upgrade charges since version 2.0 was released, and therefore it’s reasonable to assume upgraders are not familiar with the change you made in your licensing model in 2020. It shouldn’t be possible to make a purchase without clear, informed, consent about the new licensing model. Had this been presented to me (including a clear description of lost/broken rules) I might very well have made the single license purchase I intended.

One last thing to consider about your model - if I do choose to upgrade my phone (which I do on average every 3 years), I will be paying an additional $40 if I hadn’t chosen to give you my money for hypothetical future device replacements up front. What if many apps did this? Why should replacing a licensed device cost tens of dollars for a new licenses to software I already paid for? (Particularly when the application is installed on my computer, not the mobile device). Will I even remember, three years down the road, that I’d have to do this?

In short: The licensing model is curious and as a consumer, since it was not made clear until Oleg’s follow-up email, I couldn’t help but be dubious. Your customers deserve to have a clear understanding of how it works, but the current presentation of the upgrade and the store page do not provide it.

1 Like

I can sympathise with their predicament. iMazing is in a somewhat peculiar situation because of how the software works and what it is used for. If slots can be reused, it would be trivial for someone to buy one slot and rotate several devices through it. You’re unlikely to need to use iMazing with multiple devices at the same time. But I also see the issues with the inability to reuse a slot – there are genuine situations where a phone is repaired or stolen and it shouldn’t really be considered a new device (from the standpoint of iMazing).

When I see “perpetual”, I understand it to mean that the app I paid for will never stop working. That is, it’s not a subscription. Unlimited free upgrades is a nice perk, but hardly part of the term’s definition.

Compare, for example, with Microsoft Office. You can buy a Microsoft 365 subscription, which needs to be periodically renewed in order to keep the app working properly, but includes full upgrades as long as the subscription is current.

Or you can buy a perpetual license for a single version of Office (e.g. Office 2021). You don’t need to keep paying in order to keep using the apps, but your updates will only be bug fixes and security updates. Any new features will need a new license (to the next version or to a subscription).

It doesn’t. The word “perpetual” is means only to distinguish it from a subscription-based license. Before subscriptions became popular, the term wasn’t used because it was the way all software licenses worked.

1 Like

What’s hard to understand? You can carry on using version 2 in perpetuity but you have no right to use version 3 without further payment.

1 Like