Best way to secure erase external 2TB Samsung SSD drive before returning it?

@Lucas043 A lot of the posts here are filled with useful information, aimed at correctly solving your problem with optimal efficiency. Namely, allowing you to exchange the drive with no additional cost, while being certain that the data is erased. This is natural, and one of the greatest things about the TidBITS community, we like to help people.

I’d suggest that that might not be the best way to go about resolving your situation.

• If this drive has national security-level data, or other data with live-altering consequences if it gets out, then stop thinking. Physically destroy the drive, with a hammer, and accept the loss. It’s probably a business expense, and possibly something you can charge back to the client. You are, after all, performing a service for them, ensuring their data security.

• Otherwise, evaluate the consequences of the data being released or captured. What’s the worst that can happen?

• If it’s just embarrassing, you get a talking to, but you can show best efforts (like this post, and following some of the procedures outlined here) to protect the data, so you’re not getting fired or going to jail, then stop worrying about perfection. Zero out the drive using @Simon 's command line use of diskutil, and move on.

• If it’s more serious, then stop thinking, and destroy the drive. It’s what, $200 to replace? Again, business expense, or maybe just an expensive lesson in always encrypting external storage. But it’s not worth agonizing over.

If you have kids, give them the hammer, and record them destroying it. Post it on the socials, you (and they) might go viral! ;-)

(I’m not saying $200 is trivial money, because it’s not. I’m just saying, peace of mind is worth something, and your time is worth something, and those probably add up to more than $200.)

3 Likes

Everything you say is correct and I greatly appreciate your post. It’s not national security data, just accounting data.

To your suggestion that I zero out the drive, I would simply add a simple measure which forum members taught me above, and that is cryptographic erase, which basically means encrypt and throw away the key which was probably implicit in your post.

I would just like to add that there is another dimension to my question, which is the learning experience.
Had I received a simple one line answer: “run this terminal command”, I would have understood nothing about the underlying hardware and software issues which in itself is not very safe.

Thanks to the contributions and detailed explanations of @fischej @Simon @Shamino @ace @Will_B @Will_B @ron and others, I have some grasp of the problem (much more than most people), and now have enough knowledge to at least be able to read, understand and follow new developments.

thanks again for your post.

1 Like

You have generously gone into a lot of detail about all of this, so I apologize for not fully understanding, but what I meant was, if you apply encryption to a drive that already has files on it, then throw away the key, are the files that had not been originally encrypted accessible only by bypassing the SSD controller – and therefore not a major security concern for most users – or are they more easily gotten at?

Any file that is on the FS at the time you perform the encryption will be encrypted. If you throw away the key, there will be no access to those files. With or without bypassing the controller.

The open question is what happens to blocks that contain data from files that have been deleted (empty trash, rm, etc.) but have not so far been overwritten with other data. If those blocks are not encrypted, bypassing the controller could allow you to read out those blocks (not the internal flash on a T2 or M1/2 Mac however). The entire issue boils down to getting a detailed understanding of how the ad-hoc encryption of an APFS works. Does it encrypt every block on the drive (in which case you’re safe as soon as encryption has completed), or only those holding files in use (in which case you’d have to overwrite those blocks first before you consider the disk safe to discard).

Yes – that is what I was concerned about. Thank you for clarifying.

Indeed, I’ve been wondering for quite a while about those specifics. Unfortunately, to this date no documentation has been made available to definitively answer the question. There’s good reason to believe Apple has done this right and all blocks (apart from those previously mapped out) are encrypted, but until they confirm we really have no way of being certain.

@simon @davbro

What I did based on @fischej 's help above, and to workaround the unknown issue of free space and encryption is simply to run the following command first to fill up the drive. It’s simple, takes a few hours, and I can work in the background.

cat </dev/zero >/Volumes/TroublesomeSSD/bigtempfile

Isn’t there also the option of diskutil secureErase freespace …

as explained above
https://talk.tidbits.com/t/best-way-to-secure-erase-external-2tb-samsung-ssd-drive-before-returning-it/19460/43?u=lucas043

Maybe. But the SSD controller may try to outsmart you by simply marking the blocks as garbage in response to seeing the all-zeros blocks.

If this isn’t a problem for you, then no problem. If you aren’t concerned about someone bypassing the SSD controller, or if you’re going to keep on using the SSD (in which case, garbage collection will definitely run at some point before you eventually get rid of it)

But if you want to ensure that actual data is written to flash for every block, try writing random data instead:

cat </dev/random >/Volumes/TroublesomeSSD/bigtempfile

Of course, this may still leave some of your data behind as garbage, to be collected. But if you then delete the temp file and do it again (maybe 2 or 3 times), then you should end up consuming all of the free flash blocks, forcing immediate garbage collection. The SSD will end up running very slowly until the garbage collection completes, but it will be far more likely that garbage blocks containing your deleted file data gets collected.

2 Likes

My brother works for the NSA. His reply to related questions: “Take your drive out to the garage. Get out your drill. Drill several holes through the drive from one side to the other. Throw the drilled drive in the trash or put it in electronic recycling, if that is available.”

2 Likes

Piling on a bit. And adding to what Alderete said.

A brief history.

Back before spinning disks had controllers on the drive platters bad spots were a worry of the OS and/or the applications. (Those were the fun days.)

Then as desnities got higher (think 3.5” disks onward) bad spots were statistically going to exist on all disks. If not a first soon after first use. So spare space was reserved. Which was why if you listened closely to a disk seeking to every location occasionally you’d hear a hard click as the heads jumped out to the spares area to pick up a replaced spot.

Modern spinning disks work this way in general. Spare locations can take up 1% more or less of the real capcity of a drive. Higher performance drives do things like cache the last 100 accessed bad spot remaps so the head seeks don’t wreak performance. Or try and predict them in advance and grab them during quiet times.

Now enter SSD. There is a page system a bit higher up than the sectors us mortals work with. And pages can only be written so many times before they will fail. (Literally physical pits are burned into the semiconductors.) So now to make all of this work the firmwardeon a single disk controller is really more of a very sophisticated OS with a primitive command interface. Over 5+ years ago the Samsung EVO drivers had an OS image that was 380+MB in size. (The original Mac OS was something like 0.001% of that size.

As other have indicated as a page gets used it will be replaced by an unused or maybe not as used one. This process now days involves a LOT of caching so that the slowdowns in prior years doesn’t happen on decent drives. And this caching can give some folks heartburn as many SSDs may have dozens of pending writes open at any one time. So if the power fails, oops. But they tend to have built in capacitor setups to keep the power up long enough to flush any pending cached writes.

But this process also requires a LOT of spare pages. So a cheap driver might be 20% over provisioned a pro/enterprise class driver might be 100% over provisioned. So that Samsung 850EVO 1TB drive might have 1.5TB of storage space in it. Along with 500MB of firmware OS and maybe a similar amount of cache.

anandtech.com is a good source of all of these details.

Now to my point. The ONLY way to ensure that the data is gone is to grind the drive into dust. Spinning or SSD. This is what those TLAs do. (And for a side diversion they extract all the electronics and grind them up. The keyboard, USB, Ethernet, Wi-FI controller chips have more memory than hard drives of 30+ years ago. And if you’re really good you can store things there to keep it hidden from those TLAs. Mostly. Unless they really want to dig deep.

Why grind it up? Unless you know all the algorithms in the disk drive’s OS you have no idea what is in those replaced, relocated, marked for no more use, pages. On both SSDs and spinning disks or how to ensure they are really erased.

For spinning disks for most people a drill bit through the round parts covers all but people who attract TLAs. Takeing them apart and smashing with a hammer can generate flying bits of metal coated ceramic which can do nasty things to skin or eyes. But you get some interesting rare earth magnets.

For SSDs, smash them with a hammer then put them in a yard sale blender and hit the “10” button.

If TLAs are not looking at you some of the other methings here will be fine.

But be wary of comments about erasing the ENTIRE disk without physical destruction.

And yes turning on disk encryption at first boot is a way to encrypt most of the drive. Except the parts written at the factory and in the minutes before you turn encryption on.

5 Likes

thank you very much for putting the subject in historical perspective. It allows me to better understand the “evolution” (as in natural selection) of those storage devices.

There is one issue that is unclear - forum members who posted to this discussion (including yourself) put a lot of emphasis on life expectancy of SSDs, as illustrated so well in the quote above, with, as a consequence strong reservations of using shell commands which either secureErase an external drive with 3 runs as in

diskutil secureErase 4 disk2

or filling up the disk with random bits and then format + encrypt.

cat </dev/random >/Volumes/TroublesomeSSD/bigtempfile

But we are not talking about doing this twice a week. More likely perhaps maximum once a year. Does once a year put so much stress on the SSD to be worth consideration, ie avoiding it ?

thank you @raleighthings

I must have missed something. I thought we were talking about a one-time process in order to get rid of an SSD for whatever reason, not a maintenance thing. One should always avoid unnecessary writes to an SSD unless you plan on having to replace it periodically.

2 Likes

yes, you are right. I was just extrapolating because SSDs change function - one day backup a few months later something else.

Well yes, but you need to consider what the data on that drive is actually worth.

Do I care if someone spends thousands of dollars to extract my MP3 collection from a trashed drive? No. I couldn’t care less.

Do I care if they can extract credit card numbers? Yes. But it’s doubtful anyone looking for that kind of information will go through the time and expense. And if someone actually does go hacking the raw flash chips to get card numbers, the bank would flag fraudulent use soon afterward and cancel the car number. So it’s unlikely that any thief would find it worth the effort.

If the drive contains classified information that could compromise national security, well that’s a completely different matter. A foreign government may well have the means and desire to do this.

Why should you care about the data written at the factory and in the minutes before you turn it on? Do you really care if an attacker somehow manages to get your copy of Seagate Backup Assistant? And do you seriously think it will remain recoverable after you’ve erased it and have been using the drive for several years?

Even if you put lots of content on the drive before encryption (e.g. installing macOS to it), that’s not a problem as long as you turn on encryption before you migrate your data or log-in to your iCloud account. Do you really care if this mythical attacker that can extract files overwritten five years ago learns that you were running macOS?

2 Likes

I was addressing some of the absolutist statements being made. Words like ALL data, ENTIRE disk, etc…

I have my doubts that any of the methods via commands to a desk will do anything to a page that the firmware has marked as “done”. And yes while it’s hard to get the data off of one of those, people keep saying things like “erase ALL the data”.

Not “erase it well enough for practical purposes”.

2 Likes

The problem is that you are fighting the goal of the firmware in most SSDs. That goal is to make it last as long as possible by evening out the wear. And so as you write patterns to the entire dirve the firmware will be swaping around pages to keep the wear even. Which will likely mean that a page with say 100 sectors mighy be swapped out with a fresh on after you’re only written over 50 of the sectors on that page. So 1/2 of the page is still there with the data.

Which is why if you’re serious about hiding the data, just encrypt the drive before doing any real work. Then just forget the encryption key.

1 Like

Which is why I (and several others) have been very careful to differentiate between software-accessible data and data that requires bypassing the SSD controller to access.

The former is easily recovered by anyone with the right software.

The latter will require specialized tools (assuming the SSD controller itself doesn’t auto-encrypt data, like Apple’s T2, A-series and M-series chips do) and even with those tools, the possibility of recovery will decrease over time as the drive’s normal garbage collection algorithms run in the background.

The odds of recovery will eventually go to zero, but we have no way of knowing when, without detailed data about how the SSD controller’s garbage collection works.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right. In this case the data is accounting including bank and credit card info.

In that vein, could we perhaps question whether encryption of the primary and external drives should be automatic, as about all posts above suggest ?. I know it sounds like heresy.

I remember being furious about losing data in the past because I lost the encryption key (drive or file). I could no longer make sense of an encryption key hint which was “obvious” at the time. More importantly, we are all mortal. Think about a non computer savvy surviving spouse or family member or colleague stuck with encrypted data. It would be terrible. For this reason, I do not encrypt drives primary or external.

I am just saying that everything has pros and cons, including encryption.

I would be happy to change and encrypt everything if you think that my reasoning does not make sense. You are the expert and I am a dilettante.

Yep…to be absolutely sure that nothing is recoverable nothing less than physical destruction will do…even with multiple over writes if some 3 letter agency (I used to be in the highly classified intelligence biz) really wants to spend the bucks to use as scanning electron microscope on the platters they can get some of it back if they really want to. Not all…but some.

That said…unless OP is some very high value targets…over write with random data or fill it with a bunch of image files or whatever, encrypting and then deleting the key or just about any of the other reasonable alternatives in this thread…is really good enough. Just like passwords and a whole bunch of other things…better is the enemy of good enough.

3 Likes

One of my favorite techniques to erase a drive is to use a really big hammer :smiley:.

Not only does it make the drive unreadable, but you feel way better afterwards.

2 Likes