As Twitter Turns: Six More Stories from Pixel Place

Originally published at: As Twitter Turns: Six More Stories from Pixel Place - TidBITS

Unable to avert his gaze from the train wreck that is Twitter, Adam Engst shares a few examples of the latest bouts of insanity instigated by Elon Musk.

1 Like

Thing is, despite the literally daily flow of Twitter disaster stories I encounter, I find that Twitter remains essentially as popular as ever, while Mastodon remains nearly deserted.

Several weeks ago I spent a few hours joining Mastodon and going through all my Twitter contacts to find their new Mastodon accounts. I found four: all techies or tech journalists. None of the mainstream journalists, musicians, or general friends whose posts have given me the sole justification for entering the mucky morass that is Twitter. Theyā€™re still all tweeting away, apparently contentedly.

I visit both about three times a week and the situation hasnā€™t changed since I joined. And regardless of whatā€™s going on behind the online scenes, my Twitter user experience is largely unchanged since before the Musk takeover ā€“ while my Mastodon user experience, while more limited because Iā€™ve found so few people to follow, is essentially the same as my Twitter user experience. Roughly the same number of out-of-context quips, off-topic retweets/boosts, and self-satisfied political jabs. (Sure, because I follow selectively, I usually agree with the politics expressed. I still find the memes and sarcasm exhausting and would rather not hear it.)

So as I see it, I use two social networks. One is run by an evil and childish plutocrat, and includes multitudes. One is run on admirable decentralized principles, and includes few. Other than their reach, theyā€™re essentially the same experience.

We can continue to urge all right-thinking people to leave Twitter and join Mastodon, but realistically, thatā€™s not going to happen unless Musk makes his own goatse meme and tweets it to every user. Which could happen, given his actions so far. Meanwhile, Mastodon is used by so few that only those whose social network happens to include a great number of those predisposed to use something like Mastodon are likely to continue using it. I suspect this includes you, Adam, and a great deal of your colleagues and friends.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t found a similar experience on Mastodon; most od my communities (writers, Medievalists, Apple technologists) are well represented.

Some tips:

Fill out your Mastodon profile. Use hashtags for your interests.
Write an intro post with a short bio and summary of your interests. Pin that post in your profile.
Verify your identity (@ace needs to do this) by adding the Mastodon provided link to your Website (top page or as Head metadata) from your Mastodon Profile.

1 Like

Twitter is most definitely NOT NEARLY as popular as it once was. Twitter has been loosing a significant % of its members and advertisers on a regular basis:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/heres-what-twitter-lost-advertising-revenue-final-months-2022-2023-01-19/

1 Like

I guess I just donā€™t get it, but Iā€™ve never been on Twitter, and have never felt a need to go there. Iā€™m sure there are good reasons to do so (or go to any other such platform), Iā€™m just not sure what they are. If I want Apple info I come here. If I need national news I go to NPR or AP or BBC America. If I want to talk with friends and family I text or talk to them. What I am missing?

2 Likes

Basically, direct involvement in what has become a major societal cancer.

1 Like

Though I agree that Twitter can be consuming for some people, it has been a way for me to connect with people in various communities. I have contact with writers, manga authors, and a variety of regular people. I donā€™t know what EM will do to it, but I will stay on and watch. I miss TweetBotā€™s clean interface though.

1 Like

I have been on Twitter for about two years so I was a late joiner. I have carefully curated who I follow and who follows me. I am interested in the Venn Diagram intersection of photographers, weather discussions, and storm chasers.

I find that I can get very useful information as well as new research and results by following these folks on Twitter. Many of these people left Twitter for Mastodon ā€“ and are back at Twitter because of the critical mass that exists.

I also use Twitter to follow my local emergency managers, local news, NWS alerts, and wildfire alerts.

Itā€™s not that difficult to avoid the garbage. I use TweetDeck and only allow people I follow to show up in my timeline. I never, NEVER, see promoted Tweets or ads in Tweetdeck.

I canā€™t speak to Twitter, as I pop in just to check occasionally that no one is trying to reach me, but I have nearly 12,000 followers on Mastodon and have 10x the level of replies to things there I did on Twitter back in November. Great conversations, thoughtful people. I think Mastodon even more than Twitter can feel dramatically different because you have to work to follow enough people to get a timeline going. Iā€™m following a few thousand. Still, I donā€™t read it, so it doesnā€™t feel overwhelming. Itā€™s my favorite social network since early Twitter.

4 Likes

Twitter continues to blatantly alienate longtime respected and reputable journalistic resources. Hereā€™s a very just two respected examples in the US so far:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-12/pbs-joins-npr-in-quitting-twitter-over-state-backed-designation#xj4y7vzkg

1 Like

Unable to avert my gaze from TidBITS articles, I read this one. Boy, am I glad Iā€™m not on Twitter! (And Iā€™m glad Iā€™m on TidBITS!)

7 Likes

Twitter has always pretty much been a cesspoolā€¦just like every other social media site out there. Yesā€¦it has its share of idiotic moronic right wingersā€¦but then itā€™s got its share of idiotic moronic left wingers as well and also its share of idiotic moronic centrist people. Thatā€™s why I follow certain people and have blocked certain other people and ignore the rest of themā€¦and anything in the new ā€œpromotedā€ or ā€œrecommended to followā€ list gets just skipped right over.

Itā€™s Muskā€™s company nowā€¦and while I have no real understanding of why he bought it or what he intends to do with it or anything elseā€¦itā€™s still his baby and none of my business.

As a mostly in the one center politically personā€¦I do find it a bit strange that most of the people talking about it being a train wreck or cesspool or whatever are pretty left politically, at least thatā€™s my view of them based on other things theyā€™ve said in it or other forums and/or their bluntly stated political opinionsā€¦and while I agree with them thatā€¦as noted aboveā€¦there are lots of idiot far right people there (and on social media in general) but extremists on both sides seem to ignore their own extremism and pillory the other sideā€™sā€¦but then in todayā€™s increasingly bi-polar political world I suppose thatā€™s to be expected.

There are valid arguments to be made on both sides about every political issue we have todayā€¦but unfortunately the conversation is dominated by the fringe viewpoints mostly and the number of our political leaders in various governments seem to be much interested in attempting to reach a compromise that neither side will completely like or agree with but that both sides can live withā€¦because politicians on both sides are more interested IMO in getting reelected and not getting primary-ed by the radicals in their party. Too badā€¦Iā€™ve lamented many times with my spouse that thereā€™s not really a political party any more for those of us mostly in the center. Weā€™ve also lamentedā€¦many timesā€¦that in every election ā€œNone of the aboveā€ should be on the ballot and if None wins there has to be a new election and none of the candidates in the original election can run in the new oneā€¦seems we would get a lot better political leadership that wayā€¦but like firearms, voting, and every other really contentious issue it would require a constitutional amendment to fix and the amendment process was deliberately designed to be hard so that only a significant majority of the population could get one enacted and we live in pretty much a 50/50 split these days.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the network that reminds me most of early Twitter. Mostly fellow geeks of various forms. Not that interactive, but kind and not cynical.

Twitter is for the civilians, and it reflects current civilian discourse. Which is why I donā€™t go there.

Substack has an interesting new ā€˜Notesā€™ feature where users and stackers can interact, that has the promise of something substantial and significant. An interesting development I think.

I agree with you. So what about my comment did you find so inappropriate that it deserved a downvote?

1 Like

I thought I made it very clear not only about Twitter continuing to hemorrhage a very significant number of members, but a big % of members that remain are not posting as frequently. The respected sources I quoted back these issues up, and it is not getting anything resembling better for Twitter. And because it doesnā€™t look like Twitter will be gaining significant numbers of members and posts for the time being, advertisers, their only source of revenue, are continuing to head for the cyber hills. Twitter ainā€™t even worth anything near what Musk paid for it.

1 Like

I didnā€™t indicate anything was ā€œinappropriateā€ā€“that would have generated a private mail to Adam. I indicated that I disagreed with your post, per the definition of the available emoji. Specifically, I disagree with paragraph 1 and the last paragraph. Obviously, YMMV.

This is whatā€™s mostly missing on Mastodon so far. Otherwise I find it well-populated with people I followed on Twitter. But with Twitter finally ending the support for API automated posting, even emergency management posts on Twitter may be a thing of the past very soon.

https://wapo.st/3o9rB6x

For those sorts of accounts, I used to use Twitter lists to segregate those sorts of posts outside my timeline. Two things: Mastodon doesnā€™t have the concept of adding an account to a list without following them, though thankfully there are clients that can hide posts on your timeline if people are in lists. Second, having lost twitteriffic and Tweetbot as clients, Iā€™ve found the official client practically unusable. I stay away from ā€œfor youā€, but the client had this nasty habit of not downloading tweets and showing a control that says ā€œshow moreā€; tap it and it brings you to the top of what just downloaded anyway. Secondly, the list support is terrible compared with the old third-party clients. Your position isnā€™t remembered, etc.

I donā€™t check Twitter all that often anymore, I never post anything, I never like anything, and itā€™s clear that I am seeing less useful info than I did until the third party clients were booted. Meanwhile more and more accounts are moving to Mastodon; Iā€™m guessing that NPR will be coming soon.

The UI for Tapbotā€™s Ivory is somewhat similar to their dead Twitter client Tweetbot, Mammoth is another Mastodon client for iOS, Ice cubes is a third.

Looks like that has already happened. Several NWS offices have posted the following message:

2 Likes

My experience has been much like John Cooperā€™s ā€“ despite all the sturm & drang, my use of twitter has remained largely unaffected. I havenā€™t seen a great drop in the people I follow posting, the conversations have been good, and the value I find in it as has been about the same. Like Facebook, I use it to keep up with certain communities and thatā€™s been fine.

I think Muskā€™s a jerk, but I donā€™t see any personal reason to leave Twitter. If I stopped using every product that was run by/associated with jerks, Iā€™d have nothing left at all (including Apple, given SJā€™s legendary jerkiness).

2 Likes