Ars Technica Tracks Mac Update Lifespans

Originally published at: Ars Technica Tracks Mac Update Lifespans - TidBITS

Curious about how long you can expect a Mac to receive macOS updates? Ars Technica has compiled that data from 1998 through 2016—it’s a fascinating look at how chip transitions affect compatibility.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand.

…and it seems likely that the recent downturn is related to the move to Apple silicon.

You note that that downward trend lasted from 2012 to the end of data at 2016. But the transition to Apple Silicon was only announced mid 2020. What am I missing? :confused:

Apple was working on Apple silicon for years before the announcement, so development decisions in macOS would have been made with that in mind.

Really interesting research and analysis, but the editorializing tone and conclusion put my teeth on edge.

Yeah, I agree. It was as though he was really looking for a gotcha—“Look, Apple’s really out to screw Mac users!” but it felt to me like there are just technological breakpoints that can result in certain models having shorter effective support lifespans.

But it was truly excellent work assembling all that data, and I’ve snagged a copy for reference sake in case it goes away.

2 Likes

Short-lived computers is both an enviromental and a cost-wise issue - as well as a safety consideration to take for secondhand Mac-buyers.
A longer lifespan could widen the use of MacOS and give Apple a larger market share. But that will not happen as long as the batteries are solidered into an expensive (and non-upgradable) box that is garbage in 5 years time.

This is out of topic, but sometimes I wish laptop designs can follow a “recraftable” approach. The designs can allow for a greater degree of integration than, say, a Framework laptop, but parts e.g. SoC and the mainboard can be upgraded and the chassis refurbished instead of having to scrap and re-manufacture whole units.

One example of recrafting is Goodyear welt shoes. The upper can be preserved and renewed, while the soles, laces etc. are replaced. For premium products like Apple machines, this should be justifiable.

1 Like