Arc Will Change the Way You Work on the Web

Matt is right about being able to select multiple tabs at once, just like you’d select multiple items in a list view window in the Finder. And I really like the option to select a bunch and then put them in a folder.

A reader named Matthew Marshall just turned me on to a (new?) Arc feature I hadn’t previously been aware of. When you’ve navigated away from the URL associated with a pinned tab, you can get back to it more easily than I’d said in the article (“closing” the tab with Command-W and then clicking it again). Instead, just click the pinned tab’s icon rather than its name. That reloads the original URL. Very cool!

1 Like

Matt Marshall is on a roll. He also just discovered that if you put Arc in full-screen mode and then hide the sidebar, mousing to the left side of the screen reveals the sidebar temporarily.

You don’t have to be in full-screen mode for this to work. The sidebar appears automatically when hidden in window’d mode too.

2 Likes

There’s another wrinkle here. Arc generally uses the term “Archive” for tabs, but the dialog for deleting a folder warns that you will not only delete the folder itself “and also all the tabs within the folder.”

But that’s not really true. It will archive the tabs like any other tab, and you will be able to retrieve them from the big box of “Archived Tabs” in the main search space in the sidebar. It does not delete them, though it does delete the folder in which they were collected.

It’s likely that they’re still wrestling with nomenclature a bit, and I plan to file a feedback report on it.

I love that there is competition in browsers. Have you noticed that Brave now offers Vertical Tabs? I’m going to try this out as I really enjoy using Brave.

2 Likes

And I think that’s the main thing here. For a couple of decades now the development energy seemed focused on speed, privacy, and compatibility—all of which are important factors, but they were (at least in my mind) all folded into similar user interfaces. Arc is pulling the conversation in another direction, and it’s cool to see other browsers starting to offer their own takes on this.

Internet Explorer vs. Netscape vs. Safari is so last century. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woo hoo! This has been fixed in the latest release. Arc windows that are open when the application quits are now reopened on launch, preserving their previous size and selected Arc “Space.” They all appear initially on a single macOS Desktop Space, rather than the Desktop they had been on, but that is also a limitation of Safari.

2 Likes

Finally installed ARC, after buying an SSD external for the old Mini.

I almost gave up because the install was so slow, double mouse pointers, pulsating colors.

Finally got through that and I think it’s settled down.

I am creating a space for each of my clients to start.

Within each space I am creating tabs to equal the bookmarks I had for them.

But some clients have the same bookmarks (same bank, insurance and utilities).

I cannot figure out how to copy tabs into other spaces. I can copy the URLs but can’t paste them into a new space. Share doesn’t go to spaces. Drag and drop moves it. And there is a nifty Move feature but even more nifty would be a Copy To feature.

I’ve googled…. anyone else tried this?

Thanks
Diane

Diane, a menu will pop up if you right-click on the tab. Will it work if you first “Duplicate” it, then move it?

1 Like

It does - thanks! Still a bit convoluted. I was hoping to have the spaces all opened and be able to easily cut and paste down them. But this is better than retyping them!

Diane

Here is an alternative:
cmd shift C on the page you want to copy to several will place the URL on the copy board.
Move to space with ctrl <number>
cmd shift T To make new tab
cmd V Copy URL to tab.
Move the Tab to the place you want it.

1 Like

Thanks that works a bit better. I wasn’t using shift and was apparently doing it without making a new tab, thinking that Paste would do it. :woman_facepalming:

Diane

1 Like

When I control-click on a tab, the pop-up menu includes “Move to” that lets me move the tab to another space. I think this is what you’re looking for?

1 Like

I saw that and didn’t try it because I want it to Copy to an additional tab, not Move. But again, I didn’t try it.

I did put in a bug report for that, and the fact when I switch spaces the tab I was working in stays open. Saw some complaints about that elsewhere too.

Diane

I read an article that said cookies are shared across Spaces.

I am wondering if extensions are also shared across Spaces.

If so, are cookies and extensions also shared across Profiles or would that keep everything isolated?

One of the reasons I’m trying this is to keep things separate. I use some shopping extensions and they are annoying when they popup while paying client bills online.

Diane

Ok, I’m sorry, there was a video put out by ARC. Found it while googling. In general I hate videos as they take way longer than reading a couple of paragraphs (this was was 11 minutes and the extension info came in after 7 minutes). It would be great if companies transcribed videos for those of us who retain better by reading.

So I do need profiles to keep things separate.

I think I need to re-read Adam’s article to see what I’ve forgotten.

Diane

5 Likes

The new thing in Arc from last week’s update that I quite like is how it lets you drag a tab out of the sidebar to create a new window with it. With regular tabs in the Today section, the tab disappears, but with pinned tabs, the pinned tab remains. I often want to open something in another window on my other screen for reference, and this feature comes in handy for that.

Just a note if someone happens upon this: – Finally found out how to create more than one tab at once in a browser – seems like it is only working in Safari now (tested a handful, but had uninstalled Orion for some reason) – one open the tab bar and to the tab bar one can drag two links (or more) to have two tabs (or more) created at once, which is great for browser independent link handling (and not having to rely on an independent bookmark manager). One could then for example export all tabs as plain text from browsers to a program like Apple Notes to have them synced across units (or possibly better some plain text notes app that syncs across units) and one can open a new tab group in Safari and drag all relevant links to the tab for the tab group to have it populated with all relevant URLs at once.

Just wanted to add my voice to Diane’s comment about the use of instructional videos. Sure, some of them are invaluable to show technique—how to paint a wall for example. But the vast majority are just time wasters, produced, I would guess, because it’s easier to get out the phone and film something instead of sitting down and carefully writing a step by step explanation of a process—which would be far more helpful in most situations. I fear that the loss of proper instruction manuals for complex devices, including software, is now being followed by the loss of written instructions of any kind.

3 Likes

I went through a couple more over the weekend on easels. They were informational but there are still things I’m unclear about. I had to keep pausing and rewinding to catch things I’d missed. And at some point he was trying to click on something his video inset was in the way of and kept switching it from computer screen to him being full screen. While I got a giggle out of it it really would have been so much easier to read the steps.

To be fair, I just had to do an update for one of my clients (banking backend). Those were written steps AND a video of screenshots and both had steps missing. So frustrating.

Diane