Apple Updates AirPods Pro and AirPods Max to Support Find My

Originally published at: Apple Updates AirPods Pro and AirPods Max to Support Find My - TidBITS

Apple is rolling out a firmware update for the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max that adds limited support for Find My and the Find My network.

How do AirPods get updated? Can the update be forced, or does it just “appear”?

I popped them in the case while charging, opened the case beside my unlocked iPhone and left it there. Did nothing for a while, then I did it again at my desk and it worked. No nice message alerting you, you have to verify by either checking the firmware reference or if Find My has altered how it seeks them.

Apparently the update also adds another feature called Conversation Boost. This is a feature under Accessibility to use the AirPods as pseudo hearing aids to focus on a person speaking directly in front of you. There is more information here.

So it appears to be a specific implementation of Transparency mode. Interesting.

I can’t say I have a need in general use and I like the general Transparency mode for when biking. I’d be wary of compromising that.

I’ll check it out though. It would be nice to have the option of it as a fourth state of the AirPods if they ever do that.