Apple to Unveil High-End AirPods, Over-Ear Headphones For 2019 - Bloomberg

Now hear this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-25/apple-is-said-to-amplify-its-audio-device-strategy-in-2019

Sign me up for noise-cancelling AirPods. That’s been on my wish list for a while.

I’m not so sure what to make of this rumor. If it turns out to be true I will be a bit surprised though. The same company that thinks high-quality monitors and wifi base stations are in such plentiful supply by so many awesome companies, that same company thinks they need to start building up a whole line of headphones and speakers.

I get Beats, but Apple? Really? When it comes to quality speakers or high-end headphones, there’s several established brands with core competence in audio and a standing tradition of quality products. Integration, sure. That’s Apple’s strength. I guess I’m just puzzled there’s so much more to integrate on say a headphone than for example a base station, or a printer for that matter. Well, in a sense there is I guess if you no longer just plug in any headphone into a many decades old standard audio jack.

AirPods are Apple’s best product in years, the most “Apple” thing since the original iPhone. They way they transparently pair with Apple devices (and switch between them) is pure magic, as is the way they work (such as pausing sound when you remove one, etc.). Apple’s bringing a lot to the table with them.

Marc Zeedar
Publisher, xDev Magazine and xDevLibrary
www.xdevmag.com | www.xdevlibrary.com

1 Like

I get Beats, but Apple? Really? When it comes to quality speakers or high-end headphones, there’s several established brands with core competence in audio and a standing tradition of quality products.

Apple had no background in music when they introduced iPod in an already saturated MP3 player market, and not long after that, iTunes. And before iPhone debuted I spent weeks ranting and raving on TidBITS Talk about how I couldn’t believe Apple would be stupid enough to try to sell a mobile phone in a saturated market where prices were dropping.

When Apple bought Beats, it was a new, up and coming player in the headphone and streaming music business. Last time I read about it, Apple’s headphones have captured around 70-80% of the premium headphone business, and they are on the toppermost of the price range. This is particularly amazing because premium headphone prices had been dropping when Beats was introduced.

Integration, sure. That’s Apple’s strength. I guess I’m just puzzled there’s so much more to integrate on say a headphone than for example a base station, or a printer for that matter.

They aren’t just selling headphones, they are selling part of a superior music experience + the across the globe super cool factor, which is a part of why Apple commands higher prices for their hardware.