Apple to Ship iOS 13 on September 19th, iOS 13.1 on September 30th

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/09/10/apple-to-ship-ios-13-on-september-19th-ios-13-1-on-september-30th/

Despite saying nothing during its iPhone announcement event, Apple has quietly revealed that iOS 13 will ship on September 19th, with iOS 13.1 following soon after on September 30th. With no other word from Cupertino, Adam Engst makes some guesses about macOS 10.15 Catalina, watchOS 6, and tvOS 13.

So how do you prevent upgrading the Reminders database if you upgrade to iOS 13? Do you just not upgrade until Catalina is out?
P. Dunn

1 Like

When there was a similar issue with a new Notes database in iOS 9 (I think that was the version), Notes presented a dialogue warning that updating to the new format would make it incompatible, and gave the option of not updating (which could instead be done at a later date). I imagine the same option will be available in iOS 13 for Reminders.

Ok I didn’t remember that thank you!

Patrick Dunn

Can you keep it the old version, as I assume the new Notes format will not work with Mojave Notes? What capabilities do you lose?

I was talking about several years ago when Apple upgraded the capabilities of Notes and so introduced a new database to store and sync them. As far as I know, there is no change to Notes in iOS 13, so shouldn’t be any compatibility issues with MacOS Mojave. Maybe someone who’s used the beta can confirm?

When you launch the new Reminders, it will prompt you to Upgrade Now or Upgrade Later. Just tap Upgrade Later and you’ll be fine. You just won’t get all the new features.

1 Like

No new phones on my end. Very happy that iPhone SE, iPhone 6 and Mini #4 is included in the iOS 13 uodate. So much for rumours they can’t be trusted, hence the name.

In January we bought two new 32GB iPhone 6S from Consumer Cellular for $200/phone. They replaced our 5 year old 16GB 5S iPhones that were still going strong (batteries OK). But we wanted to get the slightly larger 6S (with a headphone jack :grinning: ) before they were long gone. The improved camera is a nice bonus. (Otterbox gave us a nice 33% discount when we bought new Defender cases via phone.)

We hope to get at least 5 years out of the 6S. The days of upgrading our iPhones every 2 years are Long Gone. . . (iPhones: 3S/4S/5S/6S)

Looks like the Apple website says 13.1 will be released on September 24th.

Scroll down to the bottom. There area couple of ** beside 13.1 features:

15%20PM 05%20PM

And then at the bottom of the page:

32%20PM

Yeah, fascinating that they moved it up. It seems iOS 13.0 might just be too buggy.

And of course you cannot update your Watch OS until you have updated your Phone iOS. will wait

Just for my info, has anyone gotten the iOSPad update yet? Neither of my iPads can see the new update yet.

You really wouldn’t want to. It’s very tightly integrated with iOS this time.

It was not released. Most speculation has iPadOS 13.1 release on Sep 24. Apple Now Planning to Release iOS 13.1 and iPadOS on September 24.

Happily, it’s beyond speculation—Apple shows the 9/24 date on the iPadOS page I screenshotted in yesterday’s article, linked above.

Actually, all reports I’ve read point out that the new WatchOS is the most independent of iPhone it’s ever been.

That’s certainly true of several apps that formerly needed to run on the iPhone then report to the watch and can now run on the Watch itself, but the iOS / WatchOS interface is still quite tight and version dependent. Some new database formats, as well.

Indeed. Thanks for pointing out that important distinction, Al.