Apple Sold 88 Percent Of All Smartphones Over $800 Last Quarter | Digital Trends

Good news for Apple:

(Simon) #2

Definitely good news for Apple. Kind of similar to Mac. They don’t sell as many MacBooks as Dell sells notebooks, but when you ignore the low-end junk and focus on just quality gear, the picture changes entirely.

One thing about that article has me confused though.

Is that because Q2 was a “bad” quarter for Apple? Or has the market changed that much? I thought I remembered that figure being much higher. Maybe I’m totally misremembering, but I thought I had read several times before that Apple takes home more than 80% of all smartphone profits.

Simon

September 23

Definitely good news for Apple. Kind of similar to Mac. They don’t sell as many MacBooks as Dell sells notebooks, but when you ignore the low-end junk and focus on just quality gear, the picture changes entirely.

One thing about that article has me confused though.

Apple also swept up a massive 62 percent of the profits generated from smartphone sales in the second quarter of 2018.

Is that because Q2 was a “bad” quarter for Apple? Or has the market changed that much? I thought I remembered that figure being much higher. Maybe I’m totally misremembering, but I thought I had read several times before that Apple takes home more than 80% of all smartphone profits.

Apple earned 88% of all smartphone profits for models over $800 in Q2; they earned 62% of the total smartphone market. These numbers outstanding, especially when you consider the number of phones sold across the globe at all price levels. There’s a good overall analysis here of Q2 results, especially this very interesting quote:

“Despite concerns about iPhone X sales by analysts, Apple has yet again set the bar on how to print money. And, they’ve done it with the iPhone only being 62% of their revenue for this quarter. It’s been well over 70-75% in the past. At the growth rate of services, it’s close to the combined revenue of the iPad and the Mac.”

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12703/apple-announces-q2-fy-2018-results-another-record-quarter