Apple Self Service Repair Adds Remote Diagnostics and Supports New Devices

Originally published at: Apple Self Service Repair Adds Remote Diagnostics and Supports New Devices - TidBITS

Although the addition of the iPhone 15 lineup and Macs using the M2 family of chips to Self Service Repair is welcome, the release of the remote Apple Diagnostics for Self Service Repair troubleshooting tool is more interesting.

1 Like

I see it’s not available in the UK, yet.

This is a step in the right direction, but I keep hoping that Apple will bring back more comprehensive test regimens that give one the ability to loop the tests until failure or cancelled.

Too often a problem is sporadic and only an extended test time is required to generate a failure.

Also, I’d like to see more sub-systems tested. I’ve got a laptop with a WiFi problem, or so it’s been reported to me. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue after days of testing using ping on a local system.

And another laptop was displaying an alert: SOCD report detected: iBoot panic. General consensus is a hardware problem, but it doesn’t look like the tests offered might be able to diagnose this, especially since it’s not readily reproducible.

1 Like

Indeed—just the US for now—but I imagine it will be added fairly soon. It seems easier than getting the full program in other countries, and the diagnostic process already asks for your preferred language.

However, I’m intrigued by what the Apple Diagnostics for Self Service Repair brings to the table for helping users identify hardware problems, even if they still plan to have Apple perform the repair. Although it’s available only in the United States for now, Apple says this remote tool “will give customers the same ability as Apple Authorized Service Providers and Independent Repair Providers to test devices for optimal part functionality and performance, as well as identify which parts may need repair.”

Did you find any resolution to this? I was just greeted with that this morning.

Thanks.