Apple Replacing Some Batteries in 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro Models

Originally published at: Apple Replacing Some Batteries in 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro Models - TidBITS

If your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro won’t charge past 1%, Apple will replace the battery for free, and the company recommends installing macOS 11.2.1 Big Sur or macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update to prevent it from happening to other devices.

What if you’re stuck in Mojave because of Apple’s unacceptable mandate for Catalina and Big Sur?

If the battery in your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro won’t charge past 1%, you should call Apple. Horse’s mouth and all that…

My MBPro 2017 is also running Mojave; Apple just updated it to 10.14.7 with a supplemental update a couple of days ago. I can’t swear to it, but I think it also addresses the battery problem. But, like @ace said, if you’re having the issue, call Apple.

Is the 10.14.7 a typo? I’m up-to-date (just checked, no updates available except Big Sur) with 10.14.6, and Apple’s support page at Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support says 10.14.6 is the latest Mojave.

Yes, must be a typo as supplemental updates never increase the version number, only the build number.