Apple Releases macOS 13 Ventura, iPadOS 16.1, iOS 16.1, watchOS 9.1, and More

Originally published at: Apple Releases macOS 13 Ventura, iPadOS 16.1, iOS 16.1, watchOS 9.1, and More - TidBITS

Today is the big day: Apple has released macOS 13 Ventura and iPadOS 16.1 alongside iOS 16.1, watchOS 9.1, tvOS 16.1, and HomePod Software 16.1.

1 Like

" HomeKit users have complained of unreachable devices, automations not working, accessories doing random things, and general flakiness. Hopefully, iOS 16.1 and the other updates address those quirks…"
A very big hope!

Update: one day later and automations seem to be working well.

How did I miss this? Network Locations is gone? At least any interface to them seems to be. The locations I had set up remain after the release installation, but there doesn’t seem to be an interface to edit them or create new ones.

1 Like

Just a quick clarification question. In the article it says:

When Apple first announced Stage Manager, it was limited to M1 iPads, but after pushback from the community,Apple has since extended the support slightly to include:

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad Air (5th generation)

Isn’t the iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd generation the M1 iPad Pro released last year (which I got)? In other words, wasn’t it always included?

Thanks,

doug

One important question is: does Ventura slow down any older Macs / MacBooks? My 2017 MacBook Pro already seems to be significantly slower under Big Sur (11.5.2) than it used to be, and a further slowdown may be too slow after all. Otherwise the machine works just fine (in most circumstances).

2 Likes

Oh, goodie, we can still manage network locations from the shell (not why I bought a Mac though, and was that tcsh, bash or zsh… ;~} with the “networksetup” command. It has 103 different command options. I guess I have a few scripts to write; although, a Time Machine restore is looking attractive about now…

And scheduled startups and shutdowns are only via the shell command, “pmset.”

1 Like

Isn’t the iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd generation the M1 iPad Pro released last year (which I got)?

Third generation is the 2018 model.

Does iOS 16.1 solve the problem that some traffic will be guided around VPN?

Something is odd then. My “about” says iPad Pro (11-inch) 3rd generation.

I see the discrepancy. The 12.9-inch 3rd generation is 2018. But the 11-inch 3rd generation is 2021.

Here are the tech specifications for the 11-inch 3rd generation iPad Pro.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP843?locale=en_US

Apple’s support page says this about Stage Manager support:

• A new way to multitask on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later) and iPad Air (5th generation)

I do so wish Apple had not gone to yearly OS updates like this. There’s five Macs in use in this house, three iPhones and two iPads. It seems like I’m forever downloading, installing, updating and trouble-shooting. At least on the old two-year cycle the second year was relatively quiet. And, more importantly the quality of the software was a lot better!

Hurray for Apple’s naming conventions – creating confusion for eleventy-seven generations!

The 2018 iPad 11 is actually the third generation of small(er) iPad Pros, but because they were 9.7 and 10.5, I guess Apple decided to restart the generation count. The 12.9, meanwhile, has stayed the same size, so no generation reset.

Anyone having issues with TV OS and the remote that came with Apple TV 4K (1st Generation). The last two updates have caused a lot for me. It behaves erratically and inconsistently a lot but sometimes works fine as before. Most particularly when using the Menu button to ascend in the screen hierarchy - it often fails to ‘land’ on the default control which allows one to ascend to the next level. Sometimes no screen control receives a focus requiring the use of the touch pad to select the ‘default’ control so the Menu button works as expected.

Furthermore, when in ‘cover flow’ mode @ Computers > [Music, Podcasts, etc] > Playlists, scrolling with the touchpad skips every other item…

This started when still running Big Sur and persists since upgrading to Monterey

I’ve sent feedback to Apple TV folks. Makes me hesitant to install any other TV OS updates

I am having a weird problem in mail after updating my iPhone 13 to iOS 16.1. I cannot receive email from one of my email accounts. There is an error that says “No password provided for ‘Personal Email’”. When click the link on the error message to go to settings, there is clearly a password entered. So I delete it and re-enter it, but when I click Done, I get an error message that says that there is no password entered. Has anybody else had a similar problem?

My bad, for the 11-inch iPad Pro, it’s the first generation or later. I’ve corrected the article.

Thread required for Matter?
Currently updating original HomePod (not mini) to 16.1. Here’s the description:
“ Software version 16.1 adds support for Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard that enables a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems. This update also includes performance and stability improvements.”
So …?

Apple frustrates me with some of there ‘removal’ decisions. One that really annoyed me was Network Utility which I often used around the office. I simply don’t see any reason to remove a perfectly serviceable utility. The same applies to Network Locations - I have several set up on my MBP as I deal with several clients at different locations.

I do understand they may not be widely used but for the people who use them they’re incredibly valuable and removing them ‘just because’ doesn’t speak well to servicing customers.

1 Like

What’s wierd is that the network locations selector still exists in the Apple Menu (under Locations), but there is now no way to edit it.

I pulled that from here:

The first specification release of the Matter protocol will run on Wi-Fi and Thread network layers and will use Bluetooth Low Energy for commissioning.

Apple releases the same software for the HomePod and HomePod mini. My assumption is only the latter will work with Matter.

Somehow the password that was entered for that account was changed (I’m assuming that it happened during the update, because nothing else happened) in the keychain. I only realized it when I looked in 1Password and there was a different password for that account. Still weird. Why would an update change a keychain password?