I didn’t think it does either but at that point I was kind of experimenting. It had been 53 hours since the notification about the BSI being available with no update, despite the “install automatically” setting on the BSI page being on, so I thought it possible, although unlikely, that the Software Update “install automatically” setting might affect the BSI one. It didn’t, but it was easy to try.
Howard Oakley has a good piece pointing out all the pitfalls in the current BSI interface.
Howard’s a legend, for sure. Now what I’ve been seeing makes sense: About this Mac telling me everything is great, no updates available, I’m on 26.3.1, no worries…yet I know there’s a BSI out there (and I do have automatically install security updates turned on). Then I got a mysterious overnight notification several days ago that a system update (don’t recall the precise wording) couldn’t be installed because running applications couldn’t be quit. And nothing since.
Now that I have the proper cookie-crumb trail to follow, I do see that 26.3.1 (a) is available, along with a Restart & Install button patiently waiting to be clicked. Ok, fine…time to hit the shower anyway, I’ll kick it off manually.
[Edit to add: The update went fine. But it seems to have horked Airfoil Satellite. We’ll see what the helpful folks at Rogue Amoeba have to say]
Almost a week later my iPad updated automatically overnight. The odd thing was that wifi had turned off after the update.
This morning when I first picked up my iPhone at 6 am, I was greeted with the message that this security update had been installed. I was prompted for my passcode.
And now iOS 26.4 has rolled out!