Apple / Mac support in Midland Texas

Was trying to find out if there’s someone in Midland who is Apple
Authorized or just deals with Macs and iOS and it is not an
afterthought? My Google and Craigslist searching didn’t turn up much
aside from Best Buy and a guy who seems to be big in Windows setup and
repair.

Anyone here know of someone or a company?

Thanks

David Ross

Talk about the middle of nowhere. I know a number of Apple-related businesses in Austin, but that’s a ways away. And Midland seems to be equidistant from many of the larger cities in Texas.

It got the name for a reason. Really.

Just out of curiosity – the only Apple Authorized Service Center near me is Best Buy. I had a problem with a laptop and that is where Apple’s online-support person told me I should go. A system upgrade ended up fixing the issue, so I didn’t need to.

But your question makes me wonder: Is there a reason not to use Best Buy?

I admit it does seem odd that a city the size of Midland wouldn’t have multiple other options.

dwtapley
David

February 10

Just out of curiosity – the only Apple Authorized Service Center near me is Best Buy. I had a problem with a laptop and that is where Apple’s online-support person told me I should go. A system upgrade ended up fixing the issue, so I didn’t need to.

But your question makes me wonder: Is there a reason not to use Best Buy?

I don’t see any reason not to.

I admit it does seem odd that a city the size of Midland wouldn’t have multiple other options.

What surprises me about Apple’s lack of focus in the area is not the size of the population of Midland, it’s the concentration of very high net worth. Though it was decades ago, I worked in New York for years in ad sales to national advertisers for a publication that covered the state of Texas, and one of the biggest ammunition barrages we unleashed against much cheaper media buys from Houston and Dallas focused publications was coverage in Midland, the epicenter of the Permian basin, one of the top major oil and gas producing areas in the world. Over the last few months, I’ve read that that fracking in the Permian Basin has made it the second largest producer in the world, and it’s rapidly closing in on Saudi Arabia:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/business/energy-environment/texas-permian-field-oil.html

Midland helped me beat the competition for big schedules from some very prestigious advertisers, some of which didn’t have local stores or retail outlets there. So my thinking is that Apple probably has a number of customers in the Midland area already buying from the online Store and other retailers. If not, Apple needs to do some more targeting.

This is kind of how I feel about Best Buy Geek Squad folks.

1 Like

Fortunately, we have some not notch, non-Apple repair facilities where I live. But if I needed mobile Mac support, I would not hesitate to send ours to Rossman Group/About Us in NYC. This guy knows Macbooks of any vintage and is a real Apple “genius”. You can watch some of his hundreds of vids if you can over look his immature non-family oriented language. :headbash:

He frequently shows how he repairs “work” done by Best Buy. The point is, “Authorized” shops are not allowed to repair all the problems that can occur. Nor does Apple even sell many of the chips that can be replaced. This relates to the “right-to-repair” movement that needs our support.