Apple just force-upgraded me to Sonoma

You’re referring to Hanlon’s razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I’ll just respond by citing Gray’s Law, a variation on Clark’s third law:

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

These days, we’re seeing some pretty advanced incompetence in all sectors of our lives.

More specifically in this case, any company pushing out an update like this should be expected to test that update. And at least one of the tests should involve canceling the notification. Either they didn’t run that test, or they did and ignored the result. Incompetence or malice? Impossible to tell from here.

2 Likes

Once again demonstrating that the fastest way to get correct information is to post incorrect information. :slight_smile:

In this case, I wasn’t sure of the exact original wording or what it was called. It was easier to paraphrase it than look it up.

I don’t agree with Gray’s Law. I believe that intentions matter. Actions matter also, but Gray’s Law accounts only for actions and not intentions. Intentions are the indicator of whether someone may accept responsibility for their errors: the intentionally evil never will, but the incompetent sometimes will.

Also, as I mentioned in the comment you quote, I’m including bad luck and honest mistakes (as opposed to incompetent error) in this case. All three are separate possibilities that stand in contrast to malice. Neither bad luck nor honest mistakes need be a result of malice or incompetence, even though the consequences can be just as devastating.

Of all the FAANG-level companies, Apple is the one that has, since Jobs returned, routinely and generally consistently demonstrated that they care about users and how what they do affects them. That’s not always the topmost priority, but that’s understandable since they’re a for-profit business with stockholders to satisfy. (We’ll save criticisms of that model for another discussion.) And even with the other FAANG-level companies, I’m usually more inclined to attribute bad actions to apathy than to malice, although I’ll grant that the distinction between the two can be quite thin sometimes. (Not with Meta, though. I believe they’re primarily genuinely evil.)

What this all boils down to is that I really dislike the fact that every time Apple makes a screwup, no matter how minor, someone will inevitably come along and use it to support the idea that Apple is “evil” and doesn’t care about their users, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Do they make mistakes? Absolutely; everyone does. Are those mistakes sometimes catastrophic for some users? Unquestionably, but that’s going to happen sometimes (see “bad luck”).

While that kind of sentiment is par for the course in many forums, I’ve long felt that TidBITS readers and TidBITS-Talk contributors are a little higher on the scale than the general Internet commenter. I see this kind of comment as a doorway to reducing the quality of discourse here to that of the average Reddit community, and I don’t want to see that happen. I’ve been reading TidBITS since its inauguration, and joined TidBITS-Talk when Adam first founded it. I want this community to stay above the trolling, ranting, and baiting I see just about everywhere else. And I’m pretty sure Adam does, too.

6 Likes

Thanks to @Quantumpanda for saying what I’ve been thinking too, especially after @Will_B’s note that an Apple Senior Advisor told him that this is a bug and was encouraging people to report the problem.

I’ve spun up a Ventura VM to see if I can get this to happen, and the Sonoma notification came up as soon as I finished installing, but my first test—clicking the notification itself—did not trigger the problem. I also looked at but did not select anything from the hidden menu.

5 Likes

In all my years of using and upgrading Macs, I have never seen or heard about anything of this nature. Apple computers should never “upgrade automatically” unless the automatic updates option is turned on. So while your computer might have exhibited some weird type of misfire, what you experienced is certainly not a feature of Apple system software.

Purposeful joke ;-)

Today I got the notification again and very carefully clicked the X to dismiss it, but this time after the download began, I waited a few minutes before shutting down, and the installation took place anyway.

That appears to confirm this is not just “user error” (missing to click the right target), but an actual bug. Yikes.

Yes – I was going to upgrade soon anyway, but I am glad I am not one of those who for various reasons were not wanting to.

I’m not sure which is a worse look for Apple:

1. we’re forcing an upgrade you don’t want or
  2. we have a bug so bad we’re upgrading you accidentally
1 Like

This could be even worse: we have a bug that we don’t understand, don’t know how to stop, and don’t know how to repair.

I wonder if the problem is that Apple is sending out an update notice that is so easy to misunderstand that a fair number of people make the wrong response and accidentally initiate the upgrade. I’ve been fooled once or twice and had to stop or reverse previous upgrades because I made the wrong response.

Well, when it happened to me, I got the upgrade notification, hovered over the notification until the close button appeared, and clicked that. That’s it. If that’s now one initiates an upgrade (it didn’t used to be because I’ve received numerous OS upgrade notifications over the years and responded in the same way, just closing the notification, none of which started an upgrade), that’s such stunningly bad UX that it’s basically a bug.

2 Likes

As bad as forcing a major upgrade is, it’s still not apple’s worst bug ever. Back in the early days of OS X an itunes update erased any external hard drive that had a space in the name because a programmer didn’t escape the file names correctly.

I’ve tried to find a reference, but for all of the history that still exists on the net, if it isn’t recent or constantly accessed, it gets hard to find (kind of like wetware memories.)

3 Likes

When this bug finally bit me, I was able to thwart the upgrade process
by immediately opening Software Update in System Preferences (I’m
running Monterey) and clicking the “Cancel Update” button.

Gregg

4 Likes

There is an assumption that by clicking a menu choice button (e.g. OK or Cancel) the human programmer has written the correct response for that selection.

It seems that in this case the subsequent (programmed) action can go two ways depending on some system settings/characteristics that have not shown up in testing. For example (but unlikely) maybe the testers assumed all Macs are set to auto-update.

So the Sonoma upgrade annoyance is not necessarily a user error.

As it happens I have a Macbook Air M2 running Sonoma (before this annoyance occurred) and a legacy iMac that I am keeping on Mojave for numerous reasons. Fortunately the iMac is not “eligible” for Sonoma but it does sometimes nag me to upgrade to Monterey or something. Hence my reference above to the Terminal command “Ignore” no longer working.

Some interesting information at MacInTouch:

Forced macOS Sonoma installs and MDM

3 Likes

I can see that, but my iMac isn’t, and never has been, enrolled in an MDM and I don’t have either of the auto-update settings checked, yet it still tried to auto-update me.

3 Likes
  1. we have an undisclosed security issue on older OS’s that is so bad we need to force people to upgrade

Neither myself or my friend use MDM (I had to look it up… :-} or have any auto-update settings activated. My friend’s Ventura system has tried it twice.

Are you sure it said Install and Info? I’m just curious because when I got a similar notification in my Ventura VM, it had different options, which I find curious. I wonder if there could be different notifications.

Sonoma-upgrade-notification-menu

1 Like

How did you trigger the notification? I saw it once in my Ventura VM, but I can’t get it to appear again?