Apple History in 42 minutes

For those interested in attempts to see how the history of Apple is presented, this was an entertaining hour. Unfortunately, it played fast and loose with many of the facts and also had some errors and omissions. Part of a series on the History Channel. Episodes in the series are also available to watch on their app. They rerun episodes several times on the weekends if you miss the initial airing.

=================================

The Mega-Brands That Built America

S2 E6

Clash of the Computer Titans

42m | Aired on Jun 09, 2024 | TV-PG | CC

“A game designer named Steve Jobs starts a personal computer company in his parents’ garage on his way to bringing computers mainstream. But when he commissions the help of a software design company run by Bill Gates, it’s the beginning of one of the biggest rivalries in the history of American industry.“

They also put a lot of content on their web site, but you need a pay-TV subscription (cable, satellite, live-TV streaming, etc.) to access most of the episodes.

They also put random assorted episodes on their YouTube channel, but the selection is pretty random and seems to prefer shows about ancient aliens and other paranormal nonsense.

I also have their app and noticed this morning that after an episode of any of their series is of a certain age (typically 2021 and earlier), it is totally free to watch, albeit with commercials.

The “The [blank] That Built America” is a fascinating series overall that has included whole episodes on mega-brands (where they put the episode about Apple), food, machines, toys, icons, and more. I’ve seen almost all of them by now—some repeatedly, and have been very impressed by the presenters, re-enactors, and the information. Which is why I had such high hopes about the hour on Apple. It did not quite measure up to the rest of that series for the reasons I stated previously.