Apple Card (Finally) Gains CSV Statement Export

Interesting. Could you post those lines (assuming they have no confidential information)? I’d like to give it a shot with Q20.

I copied these lines below over. I don’t know if all of these lines are necessary to get Quicken to import the file.

<FI>
<ORG>Discover Card Account Center
<FID>9625
</FI>
<INTU.BID>9625
<INTU.USERID>xxxxxxxx

The only personal information is the user ID, which is the user name to log into the Discover website.

I think Quicken uses this information to keep track of which transactions have already been imported.

Thanks. I got it to work, but for me, it’s way too fiddly to be of any practical benefit. FWIW, I whittled it down to the following. Note that these tags and data need to go within the SONRS element (I put mine just before the </SONRS>):

<FI><ORG>Apple Computer<FID>9625</FI><INTU.BID>9625

The “fiddly” comment is based on the fact that I completely made up the ORG element data, and I stole the FID and INTU.BID element data (9625) from your post (this is apparently the legitimate value for Discover). Quicken would not load the file with a made-up number (I tried 1234), but it seemed happy enough to use Discover’s.

I have no idea what (if any) long term affects twiddling with the data like this might have. So it was interesting as an experiment, but a dead-end in terms of being a practical working solution, IMO.

Probably doesn’t matter for credit card, but the FID is required for bank accounts. There wasn’t one for Apple Card. The one listed here http://www.ofxhome.com/index.php/institution/view/694 “1234” is for Goldman Sachs. Not sure why it doen’t work, unless the site made the number up, as well.

-Al-

IIRC, QFX is Quicken’s proprietary version of OFX so I’m not surprised that Banktivity choked on QFX and Quicken 2017 choked on chirano’s OFX file. I still find the old QIF better than both CSV and OFX for transferring between different software applications.

FWIW, I was able to directly import the .OFX file for April into MoneyDance without editing, adding any missing tags, etc.

1 Like

The latest news on this front:

FWIW, MoneyDance imported the QFX formatted transaction file from May perfectly for me. As I said last month, Apple also fixed the issue with OFX export, as I used that for April’s transactions last month.

I had stuck with CSV import that allowed me to define the input fields as the OFX version placed the detailed transaction info, rather than just the merchant name in the Description field. I don’t know if the current OFX format fixed that, but the QFX format just put the merchant name in the description field and left the memo field blank. So, that is what I used for the May statement, and I am happy about it.

I believe that some folks using online financial applications are still unhappy. Mint (and maybe some others) will not work with imported files and want direct access to the credit provider. One of the core principles of the Apple Card was that they would not provide direct access to other institutions–if the institution wants the data, the user will need to actively provide it. Since Moneydance works locally, there is no issue for me.

A question for Quicken users: how does the import of QFX files work? I’m guessing it’s something like File > Import, but I figure there’s more to it than that.

In Quicken 2020 Version 5.16.1 (Build 516.33903.100) it’s exactly as easy as File > Import then choose “Bank or Brokerage File (OFX, QFX) …” and the import is seamless. I imported 9 months of Apple Card transactions without a flaw.

Thanks!

We’ve now published another article with details on the new QFX and QBO exports—let’s move comments over there since this thread is now crazy long.