Apple Card (Finally) Gains CSV Statement Export

Today, Apple added OFX export capability. Unfortunately, I have yet to see a report of it successfully loading in a financial program. There is a report on MacRumours that it failed in Quicken, and when I tried in Moneydance, the application just stalled, rather than presenting a dialog box asking which account to associate it with? The console window showed problems with understanding the file.

I reported the problem to Apple. Others who are interested should try it.If they succeed in loading, please report the application where it worked. If not, please file a report with Apple, so that there will be pressure to fix it.

1 Like

It also failed when I tried importing in Moneydance. Looking at the OFX file, there are no CRLF or LF to separate the XML elements, as I believe the spec calls for. However, I tried it after putting newlines in before every XML element and that still didn’t work.

1 Like

Been lots of import failure reports in Macrumors too. Both CSV and OFX.

Anyway, I wonder if non-US markets will see Apple Card anytime soon? Does Goldman Sachs even operate consumer (non-B2B) stuff in other territories? (If Apple were to stick with the same banking partner across markets.) Isn’t this consumer banking a new avenue for them away from the more risky investment banking of their past, in even the US anyway, so likely international would be a big leap to expect.

The trouble is that Europe has tighter regulations on reward scheme enticements and suchlike. So this likely makes it difficult for Apple to offer a unified matching offering in other markets.
i.e. they likely wouldn’t want to offer better or worse cashback between markets globally.

1 Like

Just tried to OFX import to Quicken - unsuccessful:
response: “Unable to read the selected Web Connect File”

1 Like

The post that this message replies to showed the mapping I used to load the monthly Apple Credit Card Statement in CSV format to Moneydance. For the February statement, I made a change to ignore the Category field. As merchant categories differ from expense categories, this makes sense. Furthermore, it allowed Moneydance to autofill the category field based on previous transactions with the same merchant. For reference, here is the mapping that I am now using:
Transaction Date -> Date
Clearing Date -> Ignore
Description -> Memo (this is where transaction details normally appear)
Merchant -> Description
Category -> Ignore (this is the change)
Type -> Ignore
Amount -> Debit Amount (this gets the signs right)

Note: trying to load the OFX formatted file still fails with errors in the console.

I found iCompta would not accept the OFX file for Apple Card, so I exported a few transactions from the app in OFX format and compared the files. The Apple Card OFX file was missing a few closing tags. I found by adding the lines

</CCSTMTTRNRS>
</CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1>

right before the closing </OFX> tag, I could get iCompta to parse the file correctly and import the transactions.

Thanks,

After making the suggested edit, I was able to import my OFX file into Moneydance. It looks like everything was assigned to an appropriate field. There were two small differences from the way I matched the CSV file:
–The Clearing Date was used rather than the Transaction date for the Date field (accurate from a posting point of view, but harder for the user to match)

–The Description field was used for the Description and the Memo field was left blank. The Merchant field from the provider was not used. As I posted, I prefer the Merchant field become the Description while the Description from the provider provides memo detail.

Let’s see if we can summarize what’s been learned here so I can do an article. The OFX file works in:

• iCompta with two additional closing tags
  • Moneydance with those two extra tags
  • Quicken (what version?): Still unsuccessful?

Anything else?

I had no luck importing the QFX file into Banktivity, though CSV import works perfectly (I do have to manually change the sign of the transactions in Numbers first, however). Banktivity does not seem to like something about the Apple Card QFX format.

1 Like

After adding the two tags, I was able to import the OFX file using Banktivity 7. Quicken 2017, however, wouldn’t import the file.

“After adding the two tags, I was able to import the OFX file using Banktivity 7. Quicken 2017, however, wouldn’t import the file.”

What do mean by “adding the two tags?” I’m interested in how you got Banktivity to import the QFX file.

Thanks.

Tried loading the OFX export file into Quicken Deluxe 2020 v5.15.1. No joy. Error alert: “Unable to read the selected Web Connect file. Please contact your financial institution.” Oh, and FWIW, I checked and the two “missing” tags aren’t. Missing anymore, I mean. Apparently Apple has been reading TidBITS. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look back at Conrad’s earlier posting Apple Card (Finally) Gains CSV Statement Export - #54 by chirano!

I ran into the same problem with Quicken 2017. I downloaded a file from Discover Card to compare against and found it contained a few lines with information about the financial institution. When I copied those lines into the Apple Card OFX file, Quicken successfully imported the file.

Interesting. Could you post those lines (assuming they have no confidential information)? I’d like to give it a shot with Q20.

I copied these lines below over. I don’t know if all of these lines are necessary to get Quicken to import the file.

<FI>
<ORG>Discover Card Account Center
<FID>9625
</FI>
<INTU.BID>9625
<INTU.USERID>xxxxxxxx

The only personal information is the user ID, which is the user name to log into the Discover website.

I think Quicken uses this information to keep track of which transactions have already been imported.

Thanks. I got it to work, but for me, it’s way too fiddly to be of any practical benefit. FWIW, I whittled it down to the following. Note that these tags and data need to go within the SONRS element (I put mine just before the </SONRS>):

<FI><ORG>Apple Computer<FID>9625</FI><INTU.BID>9625

The “fiddly” comment is based on the fact that I completely made up the ORG element data, and I stole the FID and INTU.BID element data (9625) from your post (this is apparently the legitimate value for Discover). Quicken would not load the file with a made-up number (I tried 1234), but it seemed happy enough to use Discover’s.

I have no idea what (if any) long term affects twiddling with the data like this might have. So it was interesting as an experiment, but a dead-end in terms of being a practical working solution, IMO.

Probably doesn’t matter for credit card, but the FID is required for bank accounts. There wasn’t one for Apple Card. The one listed here http://www.ofxhome.com/index.php/institution/view/694 “1234” is for Goldman Sachs. Not sure why it doen’t work, unless the site made the number up, as well.

-Al-

IIRC, QFX is Quicken’s proprietary version of OFX so I’m not surprised that Banktivity choked on QFX and Quicken 2017 choked on chirano’s OFX file. I still find the old QIF better than both CSV and OFX for transferring between different software applications.

FWIW, I was able to directly import the .OFX file for April into MoneyDance without editing, adding any missing tags, etc.

1 Like