Apple Announces iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/09/10/apple-announces-iphone-11-iphone-11-pro-and-iphone-11-pro-max/

Apple has announced three new iPhones for 2019: the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. They feature significantly improved cameras and new case colors, but maintain the same physical form factors of the previous models.

I might be the exception here, but in terms of price and feature set I think the current line-up is actually quite compelling. Sure, I myself would never spend $1300 on a phone, but the 128GB iPhone 8 would do the job just fine and $499 is actually quite decent. That would have been $412 in 2007 when the iPhone came out. The fact that they lowered the 11 price compared to the XR launch price also indicates they’ve finally started injecting a well needed dose of reality check.

I’m not a huge fan of having that many iPhone models on sale and this idea of keeping around 3 year old designs just to hit lower price points isn’t exactly my favorite either, but all in all Apple now offers pretty much an iPhone at every price point from $400 upwards.

The one thing I still miss (and why I won’t be buying one myself) is a smaller device. Personally I don’t need a whole bunch of fancy cameras, but I want a phone I can operate one-handedly. I went from a 6 to an SE because of that so obviously the 8 is still too large. There’s been rumors about a new SE, but I think rather than a true SE replacement (small) it sounds like this would rather be an inexpensive device with updated internals (8 replacement).

1 Like

We were visiting friends in Boston over the weekend and two women (significant others of tech-involved guys) specifically said, independently and unprompted in any way, that they have small hands and were unhappy with the size of current phones (iPhones and Android phones). It’s hard to believe that no major vendor sees this as an opportunity—along with a lot of women, there are plenty of kids who would like smaller devices, not to mention men for whom size isn’t everything.