Apple Adds AirPlay 2 to the Discontinued AirPort Express

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/08/28/apple-adds-airplay-2-to-the-discontinued-airport-express/

Despite no longer offering the audio-enabled base station for sale, Apple has updated the 802.11n model of the AirPort Express to support AirPlay 2, making it a decent option for whole-house audio.

I guess the irony is that with this firmware update I realize even more what a loss it is that Apple no longer offers their inexpensive, simple, and reliable wifi-to-audio dongle. Kudos to them for issuing the firmware anyway. :+1:

1 Like

Immediately after I installed the firmware update, my Amoeba Airfoil now fails to connect with my AirPort Express, showing an ā€œRTSP Forbidden Errorā€

1 Like

You should be able to downgrade by option-clicking on the version number after selecting the Airport Express in the main display of Airport Utility.

1 Like

Many thanks Kevin. Weā€™re back to a functioning Airfoil.
If only all firmware downgrades were so easy!

Iā€™ll bet Rogue Amoeba pushes out an update soon. @paul1, any info on this situation?

Yes ā€“ I contacted Rogue Amoeba at the same time I posted my comment on TidBits, and got a very prompt, courteous, and helpful reply, including a link to a Rogue Amoeba beta ā€˜development buildā€™ as a likely solution, while Rogue Amoeba prepares an official update to fix the problem that the Apple firmware created.
Rather than use the Rogue Amoeba beta patch, I chose to use Kevinā€™s suggestion (posted above) ā€“ I downgraded my Airport Express firmware to the prior version. That solution works fine for my needs.
If anyone wants to try out the Rogue Amoeba ā€˜development buildā€™, please contact them. I donā€™t want to post the link to their beta fix without their permission.
My thanks to both TidBits and Rogue Amoeba!

Weā€™ve just shipped Airfoil for Mac 5.8.2, which includes full support for AirPort Express units running the new 7.8 (AirPlay 2) firmware, along with a heaping handful of bug fixes and improvements. Get the latest here:

1 Like

On adding an AirPort Express to the Home app you need to configure the AirPort Express to use Airplay first - else it will not show up in Homeā€™s accessory adding.

Looks like this is only for the 2nd generation of the 802.11n Express ā€” my first gen wonā€™t show the update.

Thatā€™s correct.

This is pretty cool that Apple updated discontinued hardware.

Also, regarding adding the Express to the Home app, the article states that ā€œAs far as we can tell, this works only on the iPad and does nothing.ā€ First, it works on an iPhone, tooā€”at least in iOS 12. More importantly, adding the Express to the Home app actually does something extremely useful: it enables you to add the Express to a room in the Home app, which in turn enables you to control playback on the Express via Siri voice commands, e.g., ā€œHey Siri, play the Desert Island Discs Podcast in the living room.ā€ The Siri commands can be given to any iOS device (not sure about Macs) or to a HomePod or Apple Watch.

Now if they would just offer an audio streaming stick for Airplay 2 (or something similar) so that we could add audio devices that have no built-in streaming capabilities, I would be even happier. Hunting down deals on old Airport Express devices on eBay has become harder since the firmware update.

1 Like