Apple Acknowledges iPhone 7 Microphone Problems

(Josh Centers) #1

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/05/14/apple-acknowledges-iphone-7-microphone-problems/

Apple has distributed a document to Apple Authorized Service Providers discussing how to deal with microphone failures in iPhone 7 and 7 Plus units running iOS 11.3 or later. A repair may be required.

(@lbutlr) #2

A friend of mine is on his third iPhone 7 because of this issue. The first one conked out almost right away, the second lasted 4 or 5 months.

(Curtis Wilcox) #3

Your friend’s problems started before the release of iOS 11.3 (on March 29). I don’t think it’s clear that 11.3 has anything to do with the problem. If there’s a hardware problem, maybe it’s just a coincidence that a batch of phones manufactured at a certain time that are failing around the same time, after 11.3’s release. Software exacerbating an existing problem is certainly possible, probably only Apple has enough data to know if there’s a correlation between installing the update and having the problem (or not installing the update and not having the problem).

(Charles Bjorgen) #4

As soon as I read this I checked my iPhone 7, bought last year, for any problems. I’m on IOS 11.3.1 and the only problem I found was the dim recording from Apple’s Voice Memos hidden away in the Extras folder. My son checked his 5s and got the same result. Plenty of free recording apps available so no problems so far.