Anybody else seeing iPhone just crash when not in use?

So my 12 mini has now done this twice and I’m curious if this is just some random iOS 16 buggy behavior or if there’s something wrong with the device. This morning my alarm didn’t go off. Once my wife’s went off I checked what had happened to my iPhone and sure enough, screen stayed black. No amount of screen tapping or pressing the power button changed anything. Phone was plugged in all night into a charger that charges other iDevices just fine so it couldn’t have run out of power.

Performed a hard reboot (press volume up, down, then press and hold power button) and it came back up. Battery at 100%. So apparently my iPhone just decided to crash in the middle of the night for no good reason. Settings > Battery revealed that it had charged to full before midnight and then some time around 1am just stopped recording battery data until I rebooted it in the morning.

This has now happened twice. Last time was a couple weeks back.

Checked ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter and there is one entry in there from around the time the phone crashed: SystemMemoryReset-2023-03-20-011518.ips. I suppose this is the culprit. Talks about

“eventCode” : 0,
“eventReason” : “User reclaimable memory dropped below the limit. User reclaimable current: 59%. User reclaimable minimum: 60%”,

and claims Maps was the largest process with

“states” : [
“suspended”
],
“physicalPages” : {
“internal” : [
],
“frozen_to_swap_pages” : 2220
},
“freeze_skip_reason:” : “excess-shared-memory”,

Has anybody seen anything similar?

Apart from routinely nuking heavily used apps (against all expert advice) or regularly rebooting the iPhone as if this were some kind of cheap 90s Windows box, anything you can do to prevent that?

Not me.

Apart from routinely nuking heavily used apps (against all expert advice) or regularly rebooting the iPhone as if this were some kind of cheap 90s Windows box, anything you can do to prevent that?

If this were me, I’d consider backup / factory reset / restore. I want to be able to trust the phone will always reliably work.

Yes, this has happened to my iPhone 12 mini recently. Fully charged and it just goes black, as you described. When I turned it off/on, it was still fully charged, too.

Where did you find the logs?

1 Like

Interesting. Perhaps a 12 mini thing. I know this never happened (for me) before 16.1 though.

Sync the phone with your Mac and then check the folder ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/nameOfYouriPhone/. In there search for a file with time stamp (in the file name) around the time your iPhone crashed. Probably helps to sort by date modified because there’s likely a lot of files in there.

1 Like

My MacBook Pro running High Sierra (can’t update cuz it’s too old) will NOT back up/sync my IPhone 12 red mini. It starts to back up, but then ejects the iPhone. After that, it won’t even recognize the phone despite restarting, clearing the cache, etc…

I’ve tried different cables, too, and no luck.

I’ve had this happen twice now on my iPhone SE Gen2. Reboot and all is well.
Periodically, I double tap Touch Id and quit all open applications. (I have terminal OCD.) I have no idea whether this is helpful however.

Perhaps, the log will show that a security update has occurred (the kind that happens silently without an announced system update) to upset the system. If so, would crowdsourcing (well a few of us anyway) the logs help find the problem?

My logs make no mention of any kind of update. They do refer to memory though (see above).

Another similar anecdote: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/11xy72o/iphone_13_mini_just_stopped_working/

It does appear that 16.4 is due out soon, as the release candidate beta was reportedly made available this week. So maybe just an iOS update (next week?) will help with this.