Annoying suggestions in iPadOS 15

Since I’ve updated to iPadOS 15, some applications put up at the bottom of the screen a row of what I suppose are ‘suggestions’ to proceed. I don’t need those, and I find the animations of these icons flying around the screen when you click somewhere else highly annoying. Can one make this go away? At first I supposed it is another manifestation of Siri, but I didn’t find any link or setting referring to this.

Are you talking about the icons showing multiple windows which show up when you first open an app (or tap the three dot multitasking menu at the top)? This is the shelf, part of multitasking, and I believe multitasking support can no longer be turned off.

2 Likes

Thanks! Multitasking itself is OK, although I hardly ever need it. But it is these moving icons at the bottom of the screen that bother me. Oh well…

If the app has multiple windows open, perhaps closing all but one may stop the shelf from appearing. I know with Safari you can long-press on the multiple squares icon and choose “merge all windows” to move all tabs into one window. It may depend on the app, though, if others have that ability. I know the the journaling app Day One was showing multiple shelf icons every time I opened it at first but I swiped all but the current icon up and it hasn’t happened since.

To be honest, the fact that the notion of ‘window’ even exists in iPadOS is new to me. Tabs and things, ok. But apps having multiple windows open happened only on my Mac in my mind…
But the biggest culprit at the moment is Mail. When I squint I believe I recognise mails that I replied to some time ago, but when I tap them I just get a blank new message window…