An External SSD Gave My iMac a New Lease on Life

I did exactly the same thing with my 2019 iMac with a Fusion drive. The OWC Envoy case is great and I populated it with a 1 TB drive. It is so-o much faster than the Fusion drive and has been dead-on reliable. I have two applications that I primarily use on that computer: Plex Media Server and Photoshop/Lightroom. Both behave perfectly with the external drive and Photoshop in particular launches noticeably faster.

I have to give a big ā€˜thanksā€™ for helping make my 2017 i5 waaaay faster, very much like a new machine.
A big concern is that the SanDisk Extreme 1TB it boots from feels very warm to the touch now.
Is this only an issue now that it is a boot drive (I donā€™t remember it being so warm when only reading/writing data)?
Question being, will this wear down the ssd faster with this constant warmth/heat?
*Edit, there was not a lot of info from this SanDisk forum: SSD Heat - #6 by centerice99 - Extreme Portable SSD - SanDisk Forums

Warm to the touch is not necessarily a problem, as long as itā€™s not overheating.

According to the product support page (assuming this is your model), the operating temperature range is 32ĀŗF to 113ĀŗF (0ĀŗC to 45ĀŗC).

If you have a way to measure the temperature, you should do so and see if it is approaching 113 degrees or not.

Sounds good, will try to measure the temp.
Technical follow up question: Can I dismount/remove the drive from the iMac while it sleeps to let it cool off periodically, or is it best do completely power down the mac to get the same result?
Thanks

You donā€™t need to shut off the iMac to get the drive to cool off. If the Mac is asleep, the SSD will not be working and it will cool off on its own. If the iMac is not asleep, just unmount the SSD (eject in Finder) and it will cool off as well.

1 Like

Unfortunately I cannot dismount since it is the boot-able drive.
In addition, the SanDisk forum page I posted also had folks noticing the ssd not cooling down even while the Mac would be sleeping.
If there is anything I am missing, sorry in advance. This is rather new to me

If the Mac really goes to sleep it should get cold and the SSD as well. However, some Macs are set up to periodically perform tasks during sleep so they wake to do that and with that you could also expect to see some disk activity. Check Sys Prefs > Energy Saver > Enable PowerNap and Wake for network access.

I am jumping in here since thereā€™s so many that have upgrade their internal drives.

Last time I did so was roughly 2013, in my 2008 unibody. I put the new hard drive in and re-installed/dragged over software as I needed, so I had a pretty clean drive. And Iā€™d done that many times over the years with other machines.

I have everything I need to upgrade the SSD in my 2015 MBPr. I have two programs right now that I am worried about: Illustrator CS6 and Office. I think Office will be a write off, and Iā€™ll eventually get a newer stand alone.

Here is my real question though: I will be fully backing up the current internal. If I restore onto the new drive once installed, will the registrations for those programs go over with no issue?

Logic says they will, but companies that want us to keep buying new products may be defying logic. Iā€™m currently trying to move Illustrator over to my iMac and itā€™s telling me it canā€™t be registered because itā€™s not connected to the internet, which is not true.

Thanks,
Diane

Iā€™m having trouble getting external SSDs to mount.
Takes a couple of hours. Disk utility sees them - but as unmounted initially

No problem with spinners.
2020 MBP running Monterey 12.3.1

I faced that issue when I installed an internal SSD on my late-2012 iMac 27-inch in 2016. The CS6 suite transferred correctly along with registration. (I believe I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make the transfer.) The only lingering issue is the dialog box that launches when I start InDesign: ā€œYour installation seems to be damaged. Please reinstall the application.ā€ I learned long ago this was because of some kind of mismatch with Java or similar nonsense.

The machine is still humming along just fine, frozen in MacOS time and Adobe time, and runs CS6. I wonā€™t upgrade the OS again, ever, because at some point I know that my perpetual license for CS6 will have no place to run, and Adobe will do nothing to help me install it somewhere else.

It depends on the apps/vendor.

I had no problems moving Adobe PS CS6 and Lr6 from drive to drive as I upgraded and replaced them. On the other hand, my legacy version of Microsoft Office 2011 was tied to a specific drive. Moved it to another drive and it failed to run.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that was an issue in 2016. I had no issues doing a reinstall when I bought the 2015 machine.

Iā€™ve been using Chronosync - I should probably contact them to see if they have ideas for getting this to work successfully.

Thanks,
Diane

Did you move the programs or do a full restore?

IIRC Illustrator never like to be moved, I had to reinstall. But Iā€™m hoping it can survive a restore.

Itā€™s Illy CS6 and Office 11. I tried to reinstall Office 11 on the iMac a couple of years ago and never got past the registration issues. Same issue with Illy now, though the page that popped up with the error led me to an Adobe document that MAY have a convoluted solution.

Too bad I reformatted my unibody years back, else Iā€™d have a backup I could screen share with.

Thanks,
Diane

Iā€™ve successfully moved Photoshop CS6 and Lr6 via SuperDuper and it works fine if I boot from the clone. I have also used Migration Assistant when updating from Sierra to Mojave and the Adobe apps work.

Thanks! I didnā€™t even consider Migration Assistant

Diane

Cloning the drive has worked better than doing a restoreā€¦ for me anyways.

Cheers,

Dave

Migration Assistant worked well for my migration to the 2019 iMac. I used it over a fast Ethernet network, and it seemed about as fast as a direct connection. I was selective in what I migrated, though, and the CS6 apps were not part of the migration because they are 32-bit.