An External SSD Gave My iMac a New Lease on Life

Beyond my expertise! The 1 to 2 TB leap is really huge in price, for sure. Anandtech is a great site about technical details, and they may have an actual explanation of how to evaluate features in NVMe. They have written a lot about NVMe.

1 Like

Hmm, I found this updated model by Sandisk which doubles the previous model’s speed to 2000 MB/s. Still not as fast as your OWC at 2800. But at $339, it’s a lot less than $500. Just placed an order.

There are far less expensive solutions using one of the best SSD circuitries consumers can currently buy. The key is to stop trying to buy expensive all-in-one solutions from companies that have grown accustomed to Mac users being gullible simpletons that you can easily rip off.

Bottom line, get a NVMe Samsung blade (970 EVO Plus) and a solid TB3 enclosure along with it. Assemble in 30 seconds. Done.

You’re right. I saw some pricy enclosures that steered me away from that idea. Plus that model was back ordered a bunch of places. But I did some more homework and got what is hopefully a good setup based on in stock products.

That drive is $309 here

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XQ4XCGZ3W3G9YWHM8C4H

This sabrent was a lot cheaper but the Samsung name is more familiar to me:

Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2900MB/s (SB-RKTQ-2TB) Amazon.com

I did choose to get the pricey enclosure for thunderbolt 3 even though the usb-c one would have been close to accommodating the bandwidth for a lot less money.