AirPort Utility issues?

OK, I think maybe one of us is confused. I am not understanding what difference it makes whether my iPad (or iPhone for that matter) is password protected. Mine are, but again I don’t see how that could be a factor here.

What is different is that although my AEBS is password protected, I have not needed to enter it when I launch Airport Utility for many years now (including today with iOS 13.1.2, iPadOS 13.x and macOS 13). I have been assuming that’s because I long ago stored the password to my AEBS in my Keychain which is shared with all my trusted platforms through iCloud.

After reading all the above replies I checked the Airport Utility on my three devices. For some reason I set a password on my iPad but not either the iPhone or MacBook Air. It crashes—just drops out—when I’m prompted for a password on the iPad. No problem on either the Mac or iPhone. Will have to assume a fix will be coming even though Airports are no longer being offered.

Happened to me too. But deleting it and reinstalling AirPort Utility on my iPhone XS running iOS 13.1.2 fixed the problem for me.

New Airport Utility in updates solved the problem.

Yes, a new version of Airport Utility for iOS / iPadOS v1.3.6 was released today. No need to delete, just find the update in the App Store.

and the new version doesn’t crash upon entering one’s password (and I don’t remember the option for “saving password” in previous versions, but I’m not 100% certain)

I believe that I’ve always seen it and I’ve noted in my postings here that it does appear in my Keychain, shared in iCloud with all my devices. There may have been an issue with still needing to enter it with multiple Airport devices, but since I only have one, I never ran into that situation.

Good that they updated it. My delete-reinstall fix that I reported was done last Wednesday — so probably unrelated to today’s update.

Mine is working properly using in Airport Utility 1.3.6 which is now available on the App Store. I had to delete the previous version from my iPhone 7, download Airport Utility 1.3.6 from the App store, run it and enter Airport Extreme and Time Capsule device passwords. Prompt to save password the device password appeared with both devices. Now I can view the network info and hardware info such as MAC addresses Serial Numbers of the two devices. This issue is resolved here. :slight_smile:

To clarify, I hadn’t seen the option to save password on the iOS version

I suppose that could be possible, but I do not recall needing to re-enter a password in Airport Utility for my AEBSs in iOS or iPadOS for years, if not since the 1st Gen iPad I purchased for my wife in Jan 2010. If it wasn’t an option in iOS then it must have been from sharing my OS X Keychain through iCloud, whenever that became an option.

The update fixed my AirPort Utility as well.

One of the issues may be that Airports are on borrowed time as Apple has obsoleted them and they are no longer for sale, like so many other perfectly viable Apple products on which Apple has made customer unfriendly decisions, focused solely on profit, or as I have termed it, ‘myopic greed’. I derived this term given that the definition of myopic is nearsightedness and greed speaks for itself.

It is only a matter of time till Apple no longer supports anything having to do with Airports. Apple solution to this is to go out and buy a 3rd party wifi device of which they likely have in their retail stores to happily sell you at their grossly inflated prices.

How recently have you updated Airport Utility on your iPhone? Mine shows Version 1.3.6 and appears to provide read-only access to my basestation, an AirPort Extreme 802l1ac, and does not crash even after learning 11 active Wireless Clients.

IOS 13.1.2 on iPhone 7

End of product life can be expected in almost any industry. However, when revision of a software system for products from the same company causes malfunction, revision to the software of related products must be provided! Unless of course the goal is to drive clients to other companies and their similar products.

I have 1.3.6 as of yesterday and it works as it should.

I completely agree with your comments. That is precisely why I came up with the term ‘myopic greed’. I believe that Apple’s shortsightedness ,driven by maximizing immediate profits at the expense of customer satisfaction and loyalty is driving clients to other companies and similar products.

Recent update fixed the problem.

Jack Clay

jaclay@gmail.com

Al:

Airport Utility app updated version works fine on my iPad with AEBS 4th gen. Had to manually re-enter router password. Nice that Apple fixed the
problem they caused.

Would be nice if Apple were to make it a policy to verify functionality of all Apple apps with iOS updates just like they should verify all Apple Mac apps work with all Mac OS updates. Best would be they push the
app updates before folks have a chance to find the problem. Apple is clearly not responsible for fixing 3rd party apps or hardware.

I mentioned that my iPad was not password protected only because someone
might have been confused over need to enter password for iPad vs. need to enter password for network or router. The dialog pop-up happened before making that clear. Thus I tried enter as if there was a blank password required.

–Jim