AirPods alternatives?

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative to Air Pods?

@julio wrote an article about the Apple-provided options, including the Beats earbuds that are sometimes cheaper.

Thank you!

There are literally hundreds of alternatives. Some cost more than Apple’s products, some less. Some sound better, some worse.

You should be able to pair your device with any Bluetooth headset you like. And any wired headset (using an adapter cable if your device doesn’t have a headphone jack), if you prefer.

But sound quality is a pretty personal thing. I recommend reading lots of reviews from people you trust - not just about Apple products, but lots of other brands.

In general, look for a good pair of headphones/earbuds from any manufacturer, whether or not from Apple. You might not get access to the latest and greatest iOS features, but you will get good quality sound for your money and (at least for me) this is the most important thing.

If there is a store where you can try them out (may not be allowed for earbuds, but might be allowed for over-the-ear headphones), that would be best. Try them with your own music (e.g. your phone or an iPod) to make sure they sound good with the content you like to listen to.

FWIW, I’ve been using Sennheiser HD-203 headphones since they were sold, back in 2015. Not very expensive, but quite a lot of quality for the $50 I paid. The HD-203 was discontinued many years ago, but I would definitely consider the HD-400S, which is the model currently selling at that price point.

I’m not a heavy user of in-ear buds but I bought these and have been happy with them MPow X3. The noice cancelling works well enough and they were $75 AUD compared to $399 AUD for Apple’s noise cancelling version. I purchased after reading good reviews and for the money I’m a happy camper.