Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 2.0.3

Originally published at: Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 2.0.3 - TidBITS

The three Affinity graphic design apps fix a slew of bugs from the v2 release. ($69.99 new for each, free updates, various sizes, macOS 10.15+)

Iā€™ve been using Affinity Photo as a replacement for my old Photoshop CS 6 install for about a year (since replacing an old MBP with a new M1 MBP) and Iā€™ve been completely happy. Thereā€™s a non-zero learning curve, of course, but Iā€™m pleased that Affinity didnā€™t just ape Photoshop, choosing instead to rethink things, mostly for the better.

My use of InDesign CS6 was always limited ā€“ mostly accepting ID files as input for web development projects ā€“ but I had a project that was a great candidate for Affinity Publisher land on my desk the very week that the Affinity V2 suite was released, so I jumped in. I know V1 had the reputation of not being a credible replacement for ID, but for my enthusiastic amateur (distinctly not professional) work I found Affinity Publisher V2 EXTREMELY impressive. It was easy to learn, stable, and seemingly quirk-free.

For a $100 one-time license fee, I think the Affinity suite is one heck of a bargain!

3 Likes

It is a bargain and Iā€™m enjoying having this level of app on my iPads. Really great.

2 Likes

In Photo 2.0.3, if while in the Develop Persona you open ā€˜White Balanceā€™ and click on the ā€˜Temperature Slider,ā€™ the app may quit. Very frustrating. Affinity advises they are aware of this and are working on a fix.

1 Like

After using QuarkXPress since version 3.3, and Photoshop just as long, I was tired of being held hostage to their price inflation and subscription ā€œoptionsā€. Although Iā€™m now retired from the graphics industry I still dabble in projects where I need decent layout and photo help. Iā€™ve been using the Affinity products here and there and I can say Iā€™m completely onboard with the results I get. Goodbye to QXP and PS. And thank you to Affinity!

2 Likes