A Prairie HomeKit Companion: The Honeywell Lyric Controller with HomeKit

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/06/21/a-prairie-homekit-companion-the-honeywell-lyric-controller-with-homekit/

Looking for a security system controller that not only integrates with HomeKit, but also turns all your connected security devices into HomeKit accessories? Look no further than the Honeywell Lyric Controller.

You’ll be wishing you hadn’t dropped the landline when there is a massive power failure that disables your WiFi and the cell towers. Non-VOIP landlines will still work because they don’t use AC power but their own DC power. Unless the lines to you are physically damaged, you’ll still have phone service. BTDTGT.

Bottom line - how much did it cost? Like, Lyric only, Lyric plus sensors, etc?

The hardware, set-up, and installation came in around $850. Monthly monitoring was not included in that. Your costs may vary depending on where you live.

And…the hardware came as a package (Lyric with X number of sensors). We added a couple of things to it.

Not sure about this one. I have FiOS, so if I lose power I have no landline. Since Verizon replaced my OID power unit with a 10 year old one I’ve removed the non-working backup battery, which would only provide phone service for 4 hours without power anyway.

I’ve been reading that one benefit to Verizon with FiOS is that they can cut back on being able to provide power for landline phones. And that in case of them losing power it is now less likely that they will have enough backup power to keep phones running on copper working. I would love to hear from someone currently working in this area.

Not sure about this one. I have FiOS, so if I lose power I have no landline. Since Verizon replaced my OID power unit with a 10 year old one I’ve removed the non-working backup battery, which would only provide phone service for 4 hours without power anyway.

Though I’ve been a happy Verizon wireless customer for about 10 years, I never signed up for Verizon FIOS. The reason is because everyone I know that did complained about extra charges above and beyond the government taxes that kept materializing on their bills.

I’ve been reading that one benefit to Verizon with FiOS is that they can cut back on being able to provide power for landline phones. And that in case of them losing power it is now less likely that they will have enough backup power to keep phones running on copper working. I would love to hear from someone currently working in this area.

I forget exactly how long it lasted, but it was at least a week after 9/11 before Verizon’s cell service went back up in NYC, and we never lost power at home or in the mid-Manhattan building I worked in. We were OK during hurricane Sandy, but we knew quite a few people who had no power at all for weeks. IMHO, there’s a risk of suspended service due to disasters with everything, and if there’s no power, unfortunately you’re out of luck.

I put a bigger UPS in front of the little FIOS UPS, and that solved all but the biggest (many days) power outages.

I’ve been following the Lyric for about 6 months. Apparently there are acknowledged problems with Lyric maintaining connectivity with Homekit in some situations. Homekit returns “No response” when trying to contact the Lyric. Particularly after an alarm has been triggered. Apple and Honeywell have reproduced the problem but I don’t believe it is fixed as of now.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/alarmgrid/honeywell_lyric_controller_finally_homekit_compatible/#comment-3891657667
[Note: comments are not strictly chronological.]

A month ago, it was reported that alarm dealers would not be able to activate Homekit integration until the issue was resolved.

I know I’ve seen the “No response” status message for several HomeKit devices, so it’s not uncommon. I don’t specifically recall seeing it for the Lyric yet, but that doesn’t mean is hasn’t happened or won’t happen in the future.

Unfortunatly I’m glad to hear that the “No Response” status is not unique to my Hue & WEMO setup. Now I don’t have to get paranoid about it, just hope Apple et. al. get it figured out.

Those experiencing this problem have to reset their Homekit configuration and then set up again from scratch. It is not just a transient communications problem. Apparently Honeywell is working on an updated firmware for the Lyric to address the issue.

I have not seen a clear description of the conditions that lead to the problem. Some users are not affected while others are.

I put a bigger UPS in front of the little FIOS UPS, and that solved all but the biggest (many days) power outages

This is a better solution than the battery provided by Verizon because that only provides power for phone and does nothing for Internet or TV access. So it is limited use for a week long outage but definitely helps for short outages.