A literary diversion

I think that TidBITS-talk readers would enjoy this gem from McSweeny’s entitled ‘A Grizzled, Months-Old Chrome Tab Welcomes A Fresh-Faced New Tab To My Browser Window’.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered about folks with 50 tabs of which they haven’t closed many in weeks. Wow. Maybe the modern version of what used to be 200+ items strewn across the desktop. :laughing:

Ummmm I resemble those remarks :see_no_evil:

I’m going to blame Safari’s inability to show me my bookmarks over my history.

And really, my tabs have been cut in half since getting Devonthink :slight_smile:

Diane

Me too!

I currently have 27 windows, unknown number of tabs. Most of the windows are minimized. But it’s not actually chaos (mostly). There are windows for book recommendations, windows for research on someone’s problem, shopping for someone’s hardware, tutorials for some project, etc. The busiest window is usually the current weeks news from RSS–Vienna opens links in safari tabs. First thing in the morning I go through the feeds and open anything of interest into the weekly news window. typically 50-100 per day, and I read them (or skip over them) throughout the day a few at a time. By the time sunday comes around, there are usually still 50-150 left. Since sundays are slow news days, I go through them all and read some, move some tabs to a collection window such as books, and leave the keepers. That usually gets it down to below 50. Sunday night I save the remaining tabs as bookmarks with a date as folder name in a tld;dr bookmark folder and start with a new window on Monday. Periodically I save a collection window as a folder in an appropriate bookmark folder with the date as the folder name.

I have a decent memory for when I read something, so since bookmark search is often futile (even in sierra), I can just scan through a few folders from the right time period to find things. Even if Safari had good bookmark organization, from past experience I probably wouldn’t use it, because because being organized is time consuming and boring. I do better with time chunks. If I need a proper search for a bookmark, I either import them to url manager pro or export them from safari as html and search that in bbedit (that could probably be automated pretty easily).

A tip for when I was trying to find things in my too-many-open tab past: tabTopus will tell you how many windows you have with how many total tabs, and then save a nice little HTML file that you can click on to get to one of your tabs. (I think this can also be found somewhere in the About This Mac area, but don’t hold me to that.

I end up with so many due to research projects. I also spend some weekend night time filing tabs, though I am now using Devonthink. Then I get to start my week feeling semi-organized. Sadly I just tend to be a messy worker, doesn’t take long for my desk to fill up with pens and post-it pads either. I clean those up daily. It’s a sign of a creative mind, or brilliance, I’m sure :wink:

Diane

If you just need the number of tabs in a Mac Safari Window, check the Bookmarks menu. One of the items will be “Add Bookmarks for these ‘n’ Tabs.”. Clicking it then start to create a Bookmark folder for the tabs. If you are synchronizing Bookmarks via iCloud, that folder should also show up on your other devices.

By the way, when I read the article, I was thinking for my situation, ‘tabs’ should be replaced by ‘desktops’. I’m a heavy user of Mission Control.

Me? Dozens of tabs spread across 10-15 windows at all times. Also, multiple emails in the draft folder with links in them of long ago tabs that I finally decided to close but just knew that I would someday return to them (but never do). It’s an ADD thing.

Mission Control is something I never looked too deeply at. But I can see where it would be handy in times when I’m doing work for multiple clients and putting their stuff “aside” while waiting for them to get back to me. Or to separate work from personal. Is it a drain on the system at all?

Sorry, I couldn’t figure out how to multi-quote!

I do links in Notes, although in the Eudora days I used emails because Eudora allowed editing of subject lines which made it easier.

And that just brought back a memory of Stickies. Wow! On my first laptop, a 2005-ish iBook, I had so.many,stickies! It was such a brilliant way to keep searchable notes at your fingertips! Does it still exist? It’s here in Sierra though I stopped using it so I could sync Notes across my devices.

Diane

All you do to quote from multiple previous messages is scroll and select in the area above the compose pane. Whenever you select text, Discourse displays the Quote button next to it and will insert it in your composition area.

I might have recognized this much sooner if the button had been labeled “Quote Selected”.