A howling text display bug in Sonoma 14.3

After the fix, does text entry work properly for you? I find I can enter characters, but I cannot enter numerical digits. Not in this Safari text box, not in Canon printer software, not in Nisus Writer Pro. I have not yet tried TurboTax, but that will be difficult to use if it also cannot input digits.

I find myself more and more cynical about Quality control in macOS software. Sonoma 14.3.1, MacPro7,1 (Intel).

had that happen repeatedly in mail. but it was consistently in replies to a friend. i blamed his outlook for creating some weirdness that apple fell into. hilarious to learn that it’s not just me.

yay apple coders! keep up the enshittification, kids.

Digits w0rk 4 me with macOS 14.3.1 on a standard Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (i.e. no numeric keypad).

I do have an Apple Extended keyboard. I see the same problem when running via Bluetooth, or plugged in as a USB keyboard. Sometimes I also see the lack of response to typing a space, and various other weird behavior.

FurtherinvestigaationshowstheNumberPadkeysdonothing,butregularnumberkeysseemtoworkasexpected.NowIcan’ttypespaces.

Have you tried another account to see if it’s related to corruption in your current one?

Fortunately it seems the corruption I have been experiencing is an example of what has unfortunately become the standard corruption associated with System software updates. Some of my settings were changed, for no apparent reason. Replies when I asked in Apple Discussions suggest this is pretty common. Pages suggesting where to look for problems have been posted.

# Fix for 789uiojkl keys or numeric keypad not working

# When Keys Don’t Behave Correctly

Turning off these options seems to stop the anomalous behavior.

In my case, and many others, turning off optional behavior is a satisfactory workaround, since I did not want to use these options anyway. Many of these buggy options are in Accessibility settings. Since getting any bugs fixed seems to depend on having enough complaints, and probably those who want to use these modifications are much fewer than those who prefer standard operation, I wonder if these bugs will ever be addresses. I guess those who count on Apple’s modifications to enhance accessibility are out of luck.