502 bad Gateway after installing Arc browser

Right after I installed Arc on my M1Macbook Pro, the following problem arose with a few websites–and persists after I uninstalled Arc: when I try to access the site with Safari, or Chrome, or Firefox I get the following message:

502 Bad Gateway

Certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate

However, all worked well when I accessed with Arc, or if I did it with my iPhone. This makes me think that Arc changed some system setting which is now somehow interfering with the other browsers.
Any suggestions for a fix?

Joseph Lipman

A 502 Bad Gateway error means that the server you’re connecting to encountered a failure trying to access another server. Usually this is going to be something only the server’s operator (or maybe your ISP, if they are running a cache/proxy server) can resolve. So the problem might be coincidence. Try again later. If the problem persists, consider contacting the site’s administrator.

The one exception I can think of is if your browser may be trying to access the Internet via a proxy server (including a privacy VPN server). If the proxy failed to connect, then that could also produce a 502 error.

If Arc did install something affecting other browsers, look for any unexpected add-ins, proxy servers or similar configurations. Also look to see if there were any DNS configuration changes.

1 Like