3M WorkTunes Headphones Make Yardwork More Tolerable

(Josh Centers) #1

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/04/12/3m-worktunes-headphones-make-yardwork-more-tolerable/

Yardwork season is here, and loud gas-powered mowers and trimmers can both damage your hearing and make it impossible to enjoy audio. The 3M WorkTunes headphones can solve both problems.

0 Likes

(David Ross) #4

Another choice.

Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2 - Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones

I bought these a while back to allow me to listen to my iPhone/iPad while flying on MD80 planes. Especially in the back. All planes really but the MD80 back seats are the worst for a constant drone.

They have been great. And don’t have the bluetooth or mic issues mentioned about the Motorolla. The noise cancelling is great. On a plane someone can talk to me and I hear them. A bit muffled but at that point I can turn off the noise cancelling or remove them. Many times I’ve done the DFW hike between gates a mile or so away with them on either listening to music, podcasts, or making phone calls. Controls are nice.

And yes I also use them to mow the yard and do other things outdoors. I’ve answered calls while mowing. (I turn the mower off at that point.) I don’t know the DB reduction but it is a LOT.

They DO cost more but given the drawbacks mentioned for the Motorolla unit I’d still pay the extra. Amazon has them just now for $140.

And yes, the battery seems to last forever. I’ve never started with them fully charged and come off a flight or gotten to the end of the day with the battery dead.

0 Likes

(John Burt) #5

I’ve been using LG Tone bluetooth canal style headphones for years to do light construction and other similar noisy tasks (no lawn - hurray) and answer rare phone calls. My son uses them now too, and he works in heavy construction. They have the advantage of being light, not pinching my head, or hurting the top of it. The cord is so fine that I could put muffs over them if I need too.

0 Likes

(David Tuma) #6

Do the headphones block out the noise you need to hear in order to be safe - either working or playing?

0 Likes

(John Burt) #7

With the Tone canal phones, you can hear people talking or cars on the street if nothing is playing. Podcasts are usually quiet enough so you can hear the necessary sounds to be safe. Loud music usually makes it hard to hear regular outside sounds so I limit that to “safe” situations.

0 Likes

(David Ross) #8

Yep. The Plantronics I mentioned have the dual mics on all the time if noise cancelling is on. I find that monotonous sounds vanish, sudden sounds like someone yelling at me or even talking if nearby get through. Diminished a bit but I
hear them.

0 Likes

(Rob Russell) #9

Not so much about the article, but rather a link in the article. Has anyone decoded the mysterious Amazon pricing matrix?

Josh says these headphones are about USD45. Clicking the link shows USD55. I see this in other places like the WireCutter too…never match the price quoted in Articles.

Am I some sort of Amazon (prime) noob, or do Amazon play with pricing according some heuristics?

Thanks

Rob

0 Likes

(David Ross) #10

Amazon prices change dynamically all the time. I periodically save items into my cart as I’m deciding on something. Come back a day later and it’s up $.03 or maybe $10 or maybe down $.58. You never know.

Plus you have them pricing according to the type of account you have and your typical purchases.

It is all based on maximizing their profits.

0 Likes

(Adam Engst) #11

Yeah, in this case, I see the price change too and have updated the article accordingly. With Amazon pricing in articles, we just try to get a ballpark because of the constant changes.

0 Likes

(Josh Centers) #12

As others have said, Amazon pricing is dynamic. I recommend CamelCamelCamel for tracking Amazon prices. https://camelcamelcamel.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/product/B0723CYHPZ?context=search

0 Likes

(Richard Lefko) #13

I bought the 3M Worktunes headphones last fall and used them while blowing leaves. I still have an iPod and it worked perfectly with my nano.

1 Like

(Anthony Craine) #14

Seems like a nice idea, but I can only imagine how sweaty those things would be by the time I finished mowing the lawn.

0 Likes