1Password 8.0

I’ve been using 1Password since version 7. I refuse to upgrade to version 8 because:

• They rewrote it using the Electron framework
  • Requires a subscription
  • You can’t host your vault locally. It’s part of your subscription.

I’m trying Enpass which was an easy conversion from 1Password. I can host the vault wherever I want (keeping it on Dropbox). There are subscription plans available or a one-time license fee (which is steep at $79). I’m using the free version on my Mac, which I think is limited to one vault. Next, I’ll see if it’s still free on two Macs. When I add my iPhone, then I’ll probably pay up.

I’m running 12.4, and it’s been working better than 1Password7, which was being flaky in the Brave browser, and generally was having trouble filling in username/passwords on lots of web sites.

2 Likes

Has anyone any experience yet with 1PW 8 and Firefox? I’m sticking with v.7 until I hear that

I don’t use FF all that often, but I just started it and applied the FF updates that I’d missed. Then after restarting, I deleted the existing 1Password extension and downloaded and installed it again, and it’s working fine for me. Ctrl-\ fills password fields, in fact the 1P extension behavior to show the user name/password in login fields works just as well for Safari.

1 Like

I use Firefox for about 1/3 of my browsing. The 1Password 8 extension and application worked immediately after installing the application. For me, this version’s browser extensions seem more reliable that previous versions.

For the same three reasons, 1Password and I, after a long and stable relationship, will be parting company when version 7 is no longer supported on whatever the then current version of macOS is. We’ll try to explain it to the kids.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been mostly using iCloud for password support for a few years now, and hope, in the next year or so, to own a Mac that will support a keyboard with Touch ID, so I’ll have that or Face ID on all my Apple hardware, except my  TV 4K, which could really use one of those.

Thank you, Doug. I installed 1PW8 and the browser extensions for Firefox, Safari and Vivaldi. So far everything seems pretty normal!

I don’t understand this hatred for Electron.

I think you’re misunderstanding what the issues are for those who don’t like v8. Electron is on the list… it it isn’t the main issue for me…and I suspect it isn’t the main issue for a lot of people.

Forced subscription, no standalone license for users who want one, forced use of their and only their cloud service, a deliberate decision to exclude both local vaults and other cloud storage, and the complete lack of a backup and restore process under the user’s control to a location of their choosing are far worse. As a long time computer security and sysadmin…it is simply appalling that a company so ostensibly focused on security would deliberately force users into a single backup situation. Yes…the user has multiple devices…but corruption of the encrypted blob on one device gets immediately synced to the other devices, their servers, and their backups…and user is now SOL potentially.

Electron is way down the list. People understand why they did what they did…they just don’t like it.

2 Likes