13 Qi Wireless Chargers for the iPhone Reviewed

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/02/22/13-qi-wireless-chargers-for-the-iphone-reviewed/

Wireless charging has been around for years. But when Apple built this technology into its newest iPhones, it gave the tech a boost. Julio Ojeda-Zapata tested an assortment of wireless chargers while peering ahead to see what else is coming.

I’m a little late to this discussion, but…

• I tried a Qi charger at a friend’s house. I found it sort of annoying because you couldn’t just put the iPhone on the pad and assume it would work. You had to micro adjust the position until you saw the green charging light turn on. It might be nice to review different pads to see how much you have to fiddle with them to get them to work. I had sort of assumed “they just work” if you put your iPhone on it, but apparently that’s not true.

• You might want to discuss whether Qi pads and the constant charging whenever you put your iPhone down hurts battery life. I think maybe it doesn’t. But it would be nice to confirm this.

doug

Samsung’s Fast Charge Wireless Charging Stand (mentioned in the article) works well with my iPhone XS. No “fiddling” required in either landscape or portrait. Plop phone on stand - light comes on - charging happens.

1 Like

OK. Bought the Costco charger while on a recent sale. 2 pads with power supplies for $35. My big question was would it charge through the metal plates and/or magnets in the back of the case styles I like.

Basically no. But I had some left over “stick on the back of your phone” plates from some various magnet holders bought at various times so I put smaller ones on the top and bottom and yes my iPhone X will charge if placed correctly on the charging mat. But now cases with built in plates are out.