12 Compelling Features Coming to Apple’s Operating Systems in 2023

Low, or more usually no, profit margins; their high priced hardware and services are very profitable. And they also rake in very big bucks from the App Store:

Apple very regularly issues timely software updates for Mac, iPhone, Watch, TV, Photos at no charge. Windows, Android, etc. doesn’t come close on this regard. This costs Apple a lot of money.

That’s it! Thank you.

1 Like

One feature I very much look forward to in iOS 17: offline maps support.

And I’m just fine with that. I would prefer Apple to stick with making great hardware and providing an OS that can provide robust APIs for working with it. Leave the app development to third parties.

Third party app developers are more likely to:

• Develop apps that most users can run, vs. only those with the newest possible hardware.

• Continue supporting their product/service after Apple gets bored with the concept. Apple has abandoned a lot of apps and services that people liked using, including iWeb, iDVD, iMovie (forcing customers to switch to a completely different iMovie or pay for Final Cut), iDrive (the first cloud storage product before iCloud Drive), and many more things.

Third party developers do discontinue products, of course, but it’s usually not until the customer base loses interest. Apple has no problem dropping stuff that customers are actively using all the time.

• Develop for interoperability with industry standards and/or for cross-platform apps (e.g. to support Windows, Android and Linux in addition to macOS/iOS).

So I’d actually prefer it if Apple would stick to developing only that which nobody else can properly develop (the OS and apps that have to be intimately tied to the OS) and leave the rest to us.

2 Likes

A year ago, when iOS 16 was being demoed with a revamped Weather app I complained they left out lunar phases. Well, no more. iOS 17 Weather now also displays that. :+1:

2 Likes

I hope there’s an option to use “Hey” or not. I will hate it without the Hey and may just turn it off

Diane

An article I read today confirms that there is an option to continue to require “hey”.

See iOS 17 drops the ‘Hey’ for Siri commands, but here’s how to disable it - 9to5Mac

I agree. We have a home pod mini under our TV and every time someone on the TV mentions Siri it blurts out “I didn’t understand what you want, please try it again” or some such. I end up yelling ‘shut up Siri’ to get it to stop.

I can see myself disabling Siri.

1 Like

Examples:
“Siri iPhone”
“Siri MacPro”
“Siri Homepod”
“Siri Watch”
“Siri Studio”
etc.

Just a note: the wife of a friend says, “Hi Siri”.
It works just fine.
She says that “Hey Siri” is rude to Siri.

Indeed. I’ve taken to holding down on my kitchen HomePod while there. But I wish there was a way that you could state a preference - here’s my hierarchy of Siri. Whichever set of devices are near me, use the one device highest on the hierarchy.

Like every other macOS release, there are a bunch of changes (some under the hood, some user-facing) that they don’t mention in the keynote. And those changes are generally the ones that interest me the most.

I’m talking about features like the “File Renaming” feature they added to the Finder a few years ago. There was little to no mention of it anywhere at the time, but it’s probably the most useful feature Apple has added to the OS in years (for me, anyway).

I’ve already noticed several things in the Sonoma beta that nobody is talking about, and I suspect there are a lot more… it’s just a question of coming upon them.

General warning: The macOS betas are now available to everyone, but I don’t recommend installing it unless you have a “throw-away” machine that you’re willing to completely erase if necessary.

My phone sits next to me on my desk, the iPad is about 3 feet away, in a case in a cabinet.

Hey Siri dial ……

Muffled response from the iPad: Sorry I cannot do that

Not muffled response from me: Damn you Siri!!!

Diane

Here’s what Apple says about how it works.

We have very little trouble with this for the most part. Our HomePods pick up (correctly) on most commands. The only time we have trouble is when one of us is actively using an iPhone and it hears the command instead of the HomePod.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Serious use of the iWork suite

it’s been less than a year since the release of Ventura, and now Apple z’already to boot out
MBPro 2017 models

I find that compelling in a different sort of “Think Different” way
:angry:

#Jeez Louise

The problem I, or rather my devices, face is I typically have most of them in use simultaneously, a timer on the HomePod, a podcast on the iPhone, a recipe on the iPad and my hands covered in flour.

Facetime support for Apple TV… I mirror an iPhone/iPad to the Apple TV. The iPhone/iPad camera and Apple TV audio-visual are used so not much of an improvement for me.

I am looking forward to this. We do family FaceTimes a couple of times a month and I generally use an iPad with a stand in a room where just beyond the table where the iPad sits I have an Apple TV and a huge screen. Plus I always have a spare iPhone around to use in case one of us have issues with one of ours, so this will work really well for us, I think.

I will need to upgrade to a 4K ATV though from the HD that’s already there.

FaceTime video is the primary way we communicate with our sons in Dublin and with my wife’s family in the States. Having it on AppleTV will be great.

1 Like