1 Gbps on Newbury Street like 640K of RAM? :-)

“I don’t need 1 Gbps while strolling down Newbury Street in Boston.”

Be careful, Glenn. :slight_smile:

This kind of declamation can all too readily become Bill Gates’s infamous manifesto on why anyone would ever need more than 640K RAM.
:astonished:
:crazy_face:

1 Like

I literally LOLd! Thank you for the laugh. I am sure if bandwidth is available, someone will figure out a way to fill it. But it’s a bit like phones. The only better feature I want in a phone now is a camera. I want a mirrorless camera that’s an iPhone. I don’t need a faster iPhone.

1 Like

Or Ken Olsen of DEC saying 100 mhz was the fastest any workstation would need. Apple once releases a patch for IIFX that slowed down scroll bars because a system update ( i forget which one) made them scroll too fast. That was in the days of soldered lithium batteries. > end old guy reminiscence <

1 Like

Or Thomas Watson saying that the world had a need for maybe five computers.

And five thousand copying machines, of course.

Jeremy

1 Like

And Kodak saying mobile phones won’t significantly affect stand alone camera or film sales.

This is hilarious. One hour ago, I told that exact story about super-fast IIfx scrolling on the phone to someone. I hadn’t thought about it in years. What are the odds!

2 Likes

I worked as a contractor for Kodak in the early 1990s, and they had the world’s first production digital camera (my teaching facility had the serial #000001 model), and a huge array of advanced photographic, scanning, and production tools, as well as DTP software for Mac they had purchased from Atex. They were ten years ahead. Then, somehow, a few years later they were 10 years behind.

1 Like

Right, because they wanted to make bigger and bigger computers until they filled entire cities!

2 Likes

I love this thread, especially reading about the IIfx, with the “fx” meaning “fast(er) extended”.

Do you realize a IIfx system cost 10K at the time? Clearly the Mac Pro of its day … at a titanic 30 Hz!

We had one hundred Mac IIfx models at the Kodak Center for Creative Imaging. I ran the technical side of things and also developed courses there from around September 1991 to I think late 1992. At some point, I’m forgetting what month, I left the Center and went to work for an imaging service that was renting a building from the Center and teaching some classes there, too. I handled color separation, typesetting, and other services for the couple who owned it. Left Maine in May 1993!

I’m pretty sure we paid about $6,000 for each Mac IIfx in 1991 (before I arrived). Apparently that was part of a whole situation I wasn’t involved in. Kodak didn’t even get a bulk discount, but basically paid retail. I met John Sculley as a result of that experience, as well as a great variety of artists, photographers, and designers, like Paul Davis, Greg Heisler and Lance Hidy.

5 Likes

I assume you meant to write 30 MHz :grin:

I recall the first thing I did with a IIfx was to run the app Speedometer,* a benchmarking utility that read out with a skeuomorphic display of an analog meter style that spun the measurement while the needle was fixed in place.

Obviously the author was a bit of a realistic visionary: On the IIfx, upon clicking the “Go!” button, the meter spun wildly and crashed into it’s high-side “limit”, cracking the meter glass and making the appropriate cracking sound as well.

I was bummed. I wonder if anything faster has come out since?

*I think that was the name, but there have been so many things called that, it’s hard to remember. Maybe some of you geezers can recall this…

1 Like

No, you’re right. It was called Speedometer.

1 Like