Wind Direction complication

I like the fact that the watch now has a more legible wind direction complication. However, oddly the arrow points in the direction the wind is flowing. Where is if you look at any weathervane on the top of the house, or that is reported by the national weather service, the arrow points to where the air is coming from.

Does anybody else see this is a problem?

Should I not be bringing up silly issues like this?

Paul

Wind direction means naught to me so not on my radar. (Weathervane?..;-) That said, the divergence is interesting to me because I guess I’d expect the “direction of flow” as opposed to the “direction from”.

But if it means something to you you can be pretty sure it does to some others too and this is a collegial, helpful community so, absolutely, don’t deem it silly and ask away!

1 Like

Wind vectors or wind arrows always point in the direction to which the wind is going–not the direction from which it comes. This is standard for the NWS (says the former NWS forecaster) as well.

Note, also, that weather maps can have wind vectors/arrows or wind barbs. In the case of wind barbs, the flags face the direction from which the wind is coming and the end of the staff points towards the direction the wind is moving.

1 Like

I follow several sailing channels on YouTube and it’s thanks to them that I now know that “south-easterly” winds are coming out of the south-east, and blowing toward the north-west. I’ve also seen them use forecast maps with the wind barbs you describe (less often in more recent years). If I recall correctly, each full barb on the flag represents 10kn of wind?

So (at least from a sailing perspective), the Watch complication is consistent with the old-style wind maps. It also has a distinctive dot on the compass direction from which the wind originates, so personally, I don’t find it confusing.

1 Like

It is very important to those of us who are bicycle riders…much better to have a tailwind than headwind on the way home.

It sounds like your weathervane has been assembled incorrectly. Every one I have seen – and I’m an aficionado – points in the direction the wind is flowing.

Blockquote t sounds like your weathervane has been assembled incorrectly. Every one I have seen – and I’m an aficionado – points in the direction the wind is flowing

Doesn’t a vane in arrow form, with point at one end and something larger at the other end, point in the direction the wind is comiing from?

The local TV weatherperson explicitly stated that “Northwesterly winds” come FROM the Northwest. We sometimes have strong winds here, so it is reported regularly.

I guess it is the weather forecast and reporting convention.
(It didn’t make sense to me either.)

Yes, all wind vanes point toward the direction FROM WHICH the wind is blowing. It’s the only stable configuration of a wind vane. This is why the standard wind direction is the direction from which the wind is blowing.

On a weather map, however, wind vectors will point WITH the flow of the wind. But we will still say the wind direction for a northwest-to-southeast wind vector as a “northwest” wind.

Many meteorologists eliminate confusion about reporting wind direction by saying the “wind is from the northwest” instead of calling it a “northwest wind”. Or, if it fits the situation better, “The wind is blowing toward the southeast.”

I like other aficionados. Vanes point in the direction wind is coming From.