Which Wi-Fi system to use?

(Dave Scocca) #61

So–a question about these various wifi “mesh” networks: do any (or all?) of them have ethernet connections available to the satellite units? I have a 2010 iMac whose wifi has been a bit inconsistent–every day or two I need to reboot to get the wifi working properly. If I could make an ethernet connection between the iMac and one of the satellite units, I could get the benefits of the mesh network throughout the house and the reliability of the wired connection to my iMac.

(Alan Forkosh) #62

When I looked about 6 months ago, I saw that most of the units rely on WiFi to connect the remote units to the router. That is certainly the case with the standard Amplifi system. However, Amplifi also lets you use a 2nd router connected to the first via Ethernet. So I bought 2 routers rather than the normal router and 2 slave package. I find when checking out a system to get, it’s wise to check not only reviews and promotional material but also the manuals to see if my desired architecture is supported.

When I hear that a vital product I am using is likely to be losing support, I start looking at alternatives. That way, I can pick when to make the change rather than making a quick decision because my old system has broken.

(Mark Williamson) #63

Some of the Orbi satellite units have ethernet connectors for such use; some don’t.

(Doug Miller) #64

The same goes for Eero. They have two types of units: an Eero (which has two Ethernet ports and three radios, one dedicated to communications between Eero units and the other two 2.4 and 5 ghz radios for your devices) and a Beacon, which has no Ethernet ports and two radios, and communicates with other Eero base stations using the same radios that user devices may be using. They have a number of packages you can buy, and I bought the Eero pro package (three Eeros) for both places, and added a beacon at the summer house when I still had a troublesome spot where I wanted connectivity. I have two spots where I have an Eero wired to the rest of my network but want connection to more than one Ethernet device, so I also have two inexpensive 4 port smart Ethernet switches connected to the second Ethernet port.

1 Like
(frederico) #65

Yes, but as outlined, you can’t do what you were planning to do with a USB HDD on Eero.

That said, your Time Capsule is merely hosting a sparse disk image on a remote network share; you can copy that disk image to a local device (simply in order to assure an error free transfer rate), then use Disk Utility to ‘Restore’ the image to a new drive, whose size need only be equal to, or larger than the existing disk image.

You can then attach that drive as a local device and ask Time Machine to “adopt” the existing backups as belonging to your Mac. It’s trickier to move the TM disk image from one network share to another; but there is an article outlining it somewhere.

Please note: I’ve never tried, nor do I believe it possible to “adopt” the freshly restored drive from a different Mac over network, without first adopting it locally on said Mac. If there are no changes in Mac owenership in this operation, it’s a moot point.

(Doug Hogg) #67

Keeping the Airports as long as they work makes total sense to me. Several months ago, I bought an Airport Extreme for some relatives for their condo, despite many hours trying to find something better. For their needs, the Airport Extreme beats anything out there.
Other in laws have a large spread-out single-story house and they got an Orbi with one extension which has been very reliable and perfect for their layout.

(john9) #68

Thanks, Doug. I posted this question on TidBits not having any idea how much traffic it would generate. Yikes! Everyone is passionate about this topic. And I have learned more than I had anticipated.

After all the feedback, comments and ideas, I am going to keep my Airport system for a while longer. I’d like something with a stronger signal throughout the house, but it’s working now well enough.

(Doug Miller) #69

To revisit this topic with the news that eero is being purchased by Amazon, are any eero users thinking of moving to something else? Or are any prospective eero customers thinking of something else now that eero will be part of Amazon?

As of now, I am waiting and seeing. I am not sure that I trust that Amazon will continue to keep network traffic private from their own aggregation. The recent news that Ring employees (Ring is also now an Amazon company) were given access to customer video without customer authorization makes me wonder if the same sort of thing could happen with eero.

While I do still have my old Airport equipment around, I’m not sure that I’ll go back to using those, either.

1 Like
(mpainesyd) #70

One of my two Time Capsules and my (ancient) internet modem got zapped in a thunderstorm. My Australian ISP, Telstra, provided a new modem/router as part of an “upgrade” deal (to Australia’s woeful National Broadband Network).
Anyway the wifi from the new device seems to work well throughout the house so I have disabled wifi on my remaining Time Capsule and now just use it as a network hard disk ( which it does seamlessly for more than just Time Machine).
It tried other brands of network hard disk/servers but they wanted to be connected to the internet, which bugged me so it it worth keeping the Time Capsule for as long as possible.