When You’re Told an AirTag Is Moving with You

Originally published at: When You’re Told an AirTag Is Moving with You - TidBITS

Apple’s new AirTag trackers have provoked considerable interest about their potential for misuse. That’s why your iPhone or iPad can alert you if you’re being tracked by one, with or without your knowledge. We detail exactly when and why.

I never knew about Significant Locations. It is a bit creepy but, on the other hand, it could be very useful for COVID tracking since it tells me where and when I was in a particular location for a “significant” time. I wonder if the Covid contact tracers (who are doing a brilliant job in Australia) are aware of this feature? It seems to be on by default.

Great article
Do I have to use AirTags to be alerted to someone else tracking me?

Should everyone turn on the AirTag tracker even if you don’t use AirTags?
Missed it probably. What iOS version is needed to get these alerts?

I always wonder what we forget to include in an article, and this is a great question: no. You simply have to have an iPhone with iOS 14.5 or later or an iPad with iOS 14.5 or later, and not have disabled the option in the Find My app for being notified. It’s turned on by default.

It’s on by default. In the Find My app, tap the Me button at the lower-right corner, and you can confirm it’s enabled.

iOS/iPadOS 14.5 is the minimum.

Hmm, so if someone steals your suitcase they will be alerted that it has an AirTag in it?? Even when Lost Mode is enabled?

I guess the first thing a savvy thief will do is to get their iPhone out and check that there are no AirTags and if there are they will dispose of asap…