What's up (or down) with the my 2019 MacBook Air?

Thanks, yeah, sure looks this way, at least compared with my experience with older machines. I definitely don’t want to obsess over it but it also seems to be losing charge really fast just doing some minimal stuff with it, it’s down 30% with maybe an hour tinkering and 36 hours in sleep mode – I’m rough estimating, I didn’t think to note the exact percentages per hour in this or that mode, but it compares poorly with a 2013 macbook air which lost 1% in sleep mode overnight. I find the whole thing a bit untenable and “not as advertised”.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year everyone :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that I use the CoconutBattery app to monitor my 2015 Retina Macbook battery health. Sadly it is only at only 61% of original capacity and the battery cannot be replaced/repaired.

Why can’t it be replaced? Honestly, I’ve given up on keeping up with the tech in the last few years but I still remember when Apple shipped us a replacement for a dead laptop battery which we swapped ourselves, but now it seems nearly every issue requires a visit to the “genius bar.” We’re scheduled for two more visits this week for a 2013 Macbook air that had its original battery replaced last year (!) and is due for yet another one (sigh) as well as an iPhone 7 with more than one issue. The only item behaving “as advertised” is my old iPhone 4 – still chugging along with no hardware issues past or present, although ironically, it’s been made useless for any function other than making phone calls.

The Retina Macbook “battery” is several batteries spread throughout the interior (wherever Apple engineers could find a space). So it is not really a DIY job. However I have found out that Apple will do the replacement for AU$299, so thank you for jogging me to do the research. I might do this sooner rather than later as I am not happy with the latest Macbook models (mainly because I need to run Mojave).

It is one “battery”, composed of six cells, connected by small pieces of flex cable. I say this because the entire assembly connects to the motherboard through one connector.

That having been said, battery replacement is a very difficult and time consuming procedure:

iFixit has you perform a nearly-complete teardown, probably to avoid getting solvent (needed to remove the batteries from the case) all over the electronics.