Weird Behavior in Office documents after updating to Sonoma 14.2.1

I only noticed this after I installed Sonoma on my MacBook Pro (Apple M1 Pro). When I open a existing Word document and press Command-F to perform a search, the magnifying glass in the tool bar flashes but does not open a text box to allow me to type in the search criteria. If I press Command-F a second time, the program displays the text field and puts the cursor in the field (which is how Office documents have worked for years).

The same behavior happens if I click the magnifying glass. It appears to try to open the search text field, but it takes a second click to display the text field.

Once I do a second click or a second Command-F the search works as normal. As long as I don’t close the document I can search like crazy. But if I close the document and reopen it, I have to do Command-F twice to get the expected search behavior.

Search also misbehaves in Excel.

Weird, right?

I didn’t see this before updating Word and Excel to latest versions. Now I’m seeing it, but I think only the first time I Cmd-F or click the magnifying glass icon in a document’s window.

Both before and after Office updates:
Sonoma 14.2.1
M2 Pro mini

Well, it’s good to know that I’m not going crazy. You’re right, the misbehavior is only on a newly opened doc and the first use of Cmd-F. As long as the doc stays open Cmd-F works.