Visiting foreign country. Option besides SIM

Absolutely true. Sorry if I sounded misleading. For Wi-Fi calling, you need a SIM card, but it can (and probably should) be the one you use at home.

You don’t need to get a foreign SIM card for this, but you need to have some kind of SIM installed. You couldn’t, for example, remove your SIM altogether and expect it to work (which would work just fine for FaceTime over Wi-Fi).

Likewise. You can use your own SIM from home or you can get a foreign SIM for text messages. The difference will determine the phone number used and how it is billed. But something needs to be installed.

2 Likes

Look into iPlum.com and GoogleFi.

IPlum lets you buy multiple phone numbers tied to one account that all ring on your device.

You could have both s US number and an Israeli number.

IPlum is much cheaper than other services and it can be set up to run on just wi-fi or just cellular or wi-fi with cellular fall back.

My iPlum line charge is $4.99 and includes 200 credits. I can buy more credits. Every few months i buy 2,000 credits for $20.

Calls back to the US from Overseas are billed a one credit per minute. That is $0.01 (one penny) per minute of talk. The greedy carriers like T-Mobile want $0.25 per minute. An SMS text uses one credit (a penny).

My US phone number assigned to my device is through Google Fi which gives me cellular voice and data service in 203 countries at the same rate worldwide. $10 per GB capped at $60 after which data is free. Does not slow down until 15 GB.

Google Fi’s cellular voice rates rates outside the US are too high. Off the charts. I avoid cellular voice like the plague.

Voice calls go through iPlum.

I travel internationally. I look for wifi everywhere if I am indoors. Outdoors I use cellular data. Max Fi bill for heavy data usage is $80 a month. ($60 data plus $20 for the line)

Hit that max in the US because under Fi in the US voice and SMS are free. Data is never free but you only pay for what you use. And it is capped at a maximum monthly charge. After hitting the cap, cellular data is free.

In San Francisco restaurants there was no free wi-fi so dining alone and using cellular data for the month I was there I maxed out. But outside the US wi-fi is everywhere. More typically my Google Fi bill is $30 a month. Goes up a little when I travel. But I never, ever need to swap SIMS. My iPhone 12 has both virtual SIM cards and real SIM card slots. Ao I could install a local SIM card but why bother. Google Fi roams practically everywhere in the world

I hardly ever see a bill from Google Fi for cellular voice minutes. I do everything possible to avoid using cellular voice services. NO ONE HAS MY GOOGLE FI PHONE NUMBER.

My actual US phone number I have had for years was a Google Voice number that I ported to iPlum. That is my public number on my business cards.

If I wanted my phone to ring always, I could set iPlum to use cellular data on Google Fi. But I don’t care and let calls go to Voice Mail if I am not on wi-fi. Either way I am not using the expensive per minute charges of cellular voice.

My motto is Data is cheap. Voice minutes are expensive. Support for iPlum is via e-mail but once set up, I never need support. My bill is so small it isn’t worth my time to manage.

With Google Fi and iPlum my total cellular communications charges are under $100 a month. I can add more phone numbers to iPlum so if i need a local phone number in a country I can get a new line throough iPlum or port over a line from a carrier.

This set-up works well for me. Google Fi has terrible support and cannot do multiple phone numbers under a single billing account. Iplum handles my voice calls mostly back to the US. Outside the US, everyone, even businrsses, uses WhatsApp (owned by Facebook).

So Google gets my money, Facebook WhatsApp is free and the 3 US monopoly carriers get $0 from me.

Tbe only downside is I do not watch streaming video services on my iPhone. Data hogs. Maybe 5G solves that? I watch more “television” on YouTube than on typical TV channels.