Using Apple’s iCloud Passwords Outside Safari

Do any of the current lised crop of password apps allow a local encrypted file which I manage myself?

(I’ve been using PasswordWallet since it first came out and have never had any problems with it. It appears to still be available. Is there something wrong with it?)

1 Like

It still works as it always did…but in 2024 has some drawbacks.

-one man shop so not much support. He’s moved on mostly to other things IMO, hasn’t updated it in a long time, and shows no interest in adding features to make it relevant in 2024.
-features lacking compared to other products…see point above.
-sync between devices is cumbersome…always has been.

Despite that my wife still uses it and refuses to move to 1PW…which despite the flaws in v8 as compared to v7…is still the best player in this space. Unfortunately…their VC investors are now running the show and profit is their main motivator IMO…not service to users or features. They’ve shifted their focus to more enterprise customers at the expense of features that individual users want.

Thanks. I tried 1PW many years ago and did not like it. I’m old and don’t use many of the “new” features. I’ll stick with PW.

Thanks again.

I use Strongbox which, like all the KeePass-compatible apps, works just like that, operating on a local database file over which you have control and in whose care it is maintained, backed up and synced.

Of course, if PW is OK for you, you can keep using it. But though Strongbox doesn’t have quite the polish and flexibility of 1P, it is modern and maintained, supporting among other things the new passkeys. I’m not sure where KeePassium is nowadays but I understand that’s catching up as well.

Thank You. I will check it out.

1 Like