Use 'Reactions' plugin to support emoji responses

That finger pointing up means “What he/she said” :)

I like your list and agree with the tilted laughing face!
Diane

1 Like

But is that any different from :+1: or :heart: ?

This is where I wanted the :point_up: emoji!

1 Like

I also see more of the one with tears than the one without but I don’t like it.

I think even tilted it’s a mixed message, compared to :laughing:. It’s also almost always hyperbole.

It is different, IF it’s a separate post, because with a heart or thumbs up you’re agreeing with the poster.

If you do pointing up as a separate post it’s just a quick way of saying “agreed” without saying “agreed”

So that begs the question - is it an emoji you can put in a post or is a reaction to a current post?

Diane

I always see/think of :point_up: as having the meaning you’ve attributed to :+1: (“I agree with what you said in this post.”/“What they said.”). Whereas for me, :+1: means the exact same as :heart: (“I like the fact that you posted this”).

I was thinking this could be used to acknowledge something as being very “Apple-y” or appreciative of the Mac (/iPhone/iPad/etc), or just generally reminiscent of the past or spirit of early computing. For instance, I would have given a six-colour Apple emoji to this post, had it been available:

I’m not as keen on the Apples with overlaid + or - as I see it as more of a feeling than a specific rating. But of course, this is your forum, so if that fits better with your vision, I’d prefer any six-colour Apple option to none!

Maybe it was originally forced, or maybe I the other groups I’m on are unusual, but for the past several years I have seen this commonly used as “Thank you!” (as well as “Yay!”). But I’d certainly be open to another emoji for “Thank you”. I think having something for this sentiment would be useful.

Huh?

As I tend to understand these things, a :heart: means “I think others should read this”, without any statement about whether or not it is correct. :+1:, on the other hand means “I agree with it” and :-1: means “I disagree”.

But maybe this meaning isn’t obvious to others.

Looks like your e-mail client doesn’t render the Emoji characters.

1 Like

On this forum at least, I’ve always used it as I like/love this post. To me a thumbs up would be the same thing.

1 Like

It’s called “Mail” on my iPad. Apparently a product of Apple Computer Co.

They’re not emoji, they’re img elements. I get the same thing in Mail for Mac, even after clicking “Load Remote Content” and “Load Content Directly” (Monterey 12.6.1). It’s a result of using System Preferences > Network “Limit IP address Tracking”:

Limit IP address tracking by hiding your IP address from known trackers in Mail and Safari.

My hunch is they’re mistaken from tracking pixels because of their small height and width (20px).

2 Likes

To me the symbol :heart: connotes more of an emotional response, like “I’m so sorry that happened to you,” or “You have my sympathy.” So if we have :+1: to indicate “I agree,” or “Thanks for posting,” I think there’s room for both symbols.

My only other thought was it would be nice to have both a :slightly_smiling_face: symbol and a :rofl: symbol. Because sometimes a post is amusing, and other times I’m literally laughing out loud.

We can’t specify what people will put in posts, so this is just about reactions to the post. That said, no post should just be an emoji pointing at another one—it’s too content-free.

Here’s what I’m thinking now (and what I’ve enabled, in this order):

:heart: = The default “I like that you posted this.”
:+1: = “I agree with what you said in this post.”
:100: = “This post is 100% correct and really helpful!” (An extension of the heart.)
:raised_hands: = “Thank you!”
:smiley: = “That’s funny”
:apple_six_colors: = “Yay, Apple!” (It’s called “apple-six-colors.”)
:question: = “I found this post confusing”
:-1: = “I disagree with what you said in this post.”

With the smiley, I’ve decided I don’t like the tears or the scrunched eyes, and not that much is really so funny as to warrant ROTFL. Grinning face with big eyes instead.

2 Likes

I’m unreasonably happy to have the six colours Apple logo as an option. :apple_six_colors: :grin:

2 Likes

In a post, you can type in any emoji your web browser will let you enter. With modern versions of macOS, the easiest way is to tap the Fn key to bring up the character viewer and then click on what you’d like.

:crazy_face::rabbit::snowman_with_snow::pizza::musical_keyboard::heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

(Interestingly, although the above was entered as emoji with the character viewer, and that’s what I see when editing the post, when it is quoted, they are replaced with Discourse tags:

:crazy_face::rabbit::snowman_with_snow::pizza::musical_keyboard::heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart: )

But those tags will still render as the emoji characters and are not converted in the editor:

:crazy_face::rabbit::snowman_with_snow::pizza::musical_keyboard::heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

You can also use any other Unicode symbol you may like:

∰◐◑◒◓♪♫♬♺

Which are not converted to tags when quoted.

And, in email, pretty uninformative:

Actually, it’s quite informative. Emoji are internally converted to text-tags, which are replaced with images from a web server. But other Unicode characters are processed and transmitted as the text characters they are.

That’s a useful piece of information, and explains why you’re seeing what you’re seeing.

1 Like

Not sure I understand the value. If everyone who follows discussions via email gets these identical blue icons interspersed with the posting text, how will they follow or interpret the meaning?

I explained above why the images aren’t loading for some people in Apple’s Mail app. It’s not the fault of the message authors and not really Discourse’s fault, though it might be able to implement a workaround.

2 Likes